***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Bill, the video was awesome! I never get tired of watching chicks play keep-away, that will always be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life lol! You have all those different aged chicks together and nobody bothers anyone? The roo doesn't bother them? That makes me wonder if I over-worry and can just put ALL mine that I've hatched together....? I've got plans to combine some when they get older but when I see setups like yours I wonder why I worry so much about mixing ALL of the ones who hatched here.

Joe, if my Araucana boy from you is any indication of what your roos are like then I think you've accomplished your goal of well-tempered birds. I brag on this guy all the time, he's sooo ultra sweet, calm and gentle. Same with my older Faverolles boy. I've got 2 D'Uccle pullets and have considered hatching D'Uccle eggs but after seeing your post I think I'll close the book on that one. I'll just enjoy my 2 little girls.

Ksane you should see the blue boy I got from you , he is gorgeous, has a silver cream color on his back over blue, I have three pullets picked out to put with him already, but I have to see what Heather wants to breed to him first cause she has claimed him!!!
I'm working on a small killling station out of found objects and that is suited for my method (gun). I've got the main objects and the idea, now I just need a couple of pieces of wood put together for support. I'll post pics once it is assembled.
'Gun' is the best method in my opinion. It's messy but it's instantaneous and the chickens feel zero pain as soon as you pull the trigger. I've never done it but if I were forced to that would be my preference.

waiting on the brahmas to hatch any day now and have the other growing,had many good fertal so its a wait and see on them.
celebrate.gif
coral is on count down to chicks as well! Not sure if any others have hatches going but we shal see.
jumpy.gif
I just put 5 Americauna Eggs in Lock down yesterday!!!
woot.gif

jumpy.gif
I hope I get 5 little peepers on Monday.

i finally found a name for my gold laced wyndotte. we have called her leaf. kids are excited about the hatching starting soon. sianna keeps putting her ear to the bator listing for peeps. I told her that we only prolong the process. Truth be told i keep looking as i walk by. Thought it would take forvever to get to this day but went faster then expected.

Bill, the video was awesome! I never get tired of watching chicks play keep-away, that will always be one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life lol! You have all those different aged chicks together and nobody bothers anyone? The roo doesn't bother them? That makes me wonder if I over-worry and can just put ALL mine that I've hatched together....? I've got plans to combine some when they get older but when I see setups like yours I wonder why I worry so much about mixing ALL of the ones who hatched here.
Thank you :) The mix I have in this pen started out as babies I placed with broody hens that had small hatches and a lot of babies didn't make the bond with the hen so they are kinda independent I've been doing this for a while without any issues between age groups and Brewster takes it all in stride I've even seen him laying in the bottom of the coop with a hen helping to keep the babies warm LOL The worst problems are from the other hens sometimes they get a bit impatient with babies that aren't theirs but it's seriously never hurt one that I know of.

Nana glad your MIL is doing better, hopefully she has just been overdoing things and needs to rest up a bit.

Kass, LOVE your pictures!!! Sorry about your roo, our BA roo got after my 7 year old the other day. Jack went to pick up one of the hens making her squak and screatch and the roo didn't care for that. But so far he hasn't attempted to go after anyone else thank goodness.

Mitzi, thanks, I only got 50' of the hose up today. I did get the peppers weeded in the garden but I did it while the sprinkler was on, lol. I got soaked but I didn't have to worry about over heating. Hubby helped me move one of the hoop houses to new grass and added them on a little temp. yard so they won't have to be moved for about another 2 weeks. Sorry to hear the auction wasn't that big tonight. I need to get to some of the auctions we really need some 3 and or 5 gallon waterers. I have added 4 new pens in the last few weeks and we will pick up the rest of the supplies for at least 2 more next weekend.

I let 2 pens of roos out to free range today, that was hillarious. They spent the day chasing each other and playing in the yard. One found it's way to my front porch and I don't want that happening so I sprayed him with the hose. Hopefully I can keep them off of it, otherwise they will all be going to freezer camp. I think they know that once they start crowing they are done for because they are HUGE and still not crowing yet, lol. I almost hate to cull the big buff orphingtons they are much bigger than my other BO's were.

If anyone hears of a cheap coop for sale that would be easy to move please let me know. Our neighbors who are in their 70's want some chickens and some guineas. We are thinking build them 2 hoop houses but not sure when we will have time to do it. The guineas I have in the brooder and ready to move to a coop and I may just give them some of those if I can find them a coop fast enough. Besides I almost would rather buy them a coop than have to build another one, lol.

Well off to bed we have church tomorrow and then a day of working outside again. Plus I am sending my Nathanael to camp for the first time ever. It is going to be hard to trust his care to someone else. With all his medical issues he has never even spent the night with anyone. The minister and his son will be at camp this week and in his cabin so that helps.
I am thinning my herd so to speak, so I have a small coop for sale, 4x8 run with a 4x3 or so house. it really needs a new roof before winter but I have used it 2 years without a problem. Has the fiberglass stuff on top for shade. I will have to get pics tomorrow. Let me know if you are interested.

Well home from church, got some laundry going. I need to get out to the garden and weed the tomatos and I need to move the garden pen. I have had roos in there and have turned them out to free range full time. So I need to move it and build a little yard around it for a new set of birds. Of course to get that done I have to get my rear in gear and get outside. Just no motivation to do that right this second, lol.

Hope everyone has a great day, praying for rain this week our pond sure needs it.

Back
Top Bottom