***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Yay! Are your plans for a mobile chicken processing unit back online, too?

Pretty much. I've decided to use my 16 foot trailer with sides and put all of the equipment in the front. It has tall sides to strap it all to, and it is big enough to still put a lot of stuff in the back if I want to haul something.

If we decide to do it, that is. :) The trick is to charge enough to make it worth our while, yet still cheap enough for people to make it worth theirs.

I'll keep you posted.

Those w/ guinea experience, I have a couple of questions for one of my work partners. She lives in deep country, has a creek running through her property, and is really wanting some grasshopper / bug control. She has had chickens in the past but they have all been eaten during free range. She has a coop (sort of) but it is NOT secure. Can guineas be raised w/o any shelter at all?, Does she need to supplement food in the winter? How old until they are self sufficient enough to be on their own?

Several days last week (4 or 5) I didn't get any eggs. I have 3 jersey giants and 2 young rhode island reds. I know they slow in the heat, but it was not super hot last week. Is this normal?

You could also be having them eating the eggs. After I got back from California last week I only collected 4 eggs up until today. I finally saw my red sex-links eating a yolk the other day. I bought a couple of wooden brown eggs and placed in their boxes. So far I have gotten six of the ten eggs I should get today.

So, I have one more Wheaton Marans Rooster than I need. I have two to my three hens. I was needing to look into selling or trading for him. He is 16 weeks old and from Jack's stock. Would like another Wheaton Marans hen or an EE hen. Not sure yet on price. PM me and will try to get a pic for you if interested. Live Southwest of OKC and not big into travel.

Those w/ guinea experience, I have a couple of questions for one of my work partners. She lives in deep country, has a creek running through her property, and is really wanting some grasshopper / bug control. She has had chickens in the past but they have all been eaten during free range. She has a coop (sort of) but it is NOT secure. Can guineas be raised w/o any shelter at all?, Does she need to supplement food in the winter? How old until they are self sufficient enough to be on their own?
the guinea's i had would never go inside the coup unless i chased them but would sit on my fence on sleep in trees or on the deck railing they and some times in a pole barn. But the thing is owls will eat them if they sleep in the trees also i started out with 13 and they would go across the road to the nabors field and one by one they disapeared until there were only two left and they lived for several years because they stayed in my yard until i got a dog that killed them.

Yes, you have to feed them in the winter im pretty sure i did anyway.

As soon as they can fly they are pretty much self sufficient, i bought some new keets to replace some of the ones i lost when i still had the two and i let them out before they were flying good and they all got eaten by an owl in my back yard but the two older birds were not harmed i guess the were able to get away better i don't know.

that is was my experience in any case.

Last edited:
I just got my hens yesterday, but one of them has a runny nose & seems to be coughing/sneezing. Is it just stress or should I contact the place I got them from? I am not sure what I should do. :s

i have heard alot of good results with solar spikes for gophers from the guinea folks - http://www.amazon.com/Sweeneys-Gopher-Solar-Spike-S9014/dp/B0013E3TXC

been a rough few days here, lost staypuff yesterday, not sure what all it was but when we had those few heat advisory days she started tilting her head and going in circles, thought i caught it in time, but yesterday her neck curled real bad and she was gone. Then I lost Captain today, i had been hoping to pull him through what i think was MG, but he just got too weak to fight it- Dora the Cochin that was with him is recouperating, but i assume she will always be a carrier?

and on a happier note, had a little duccle hatch, after 2 power outages this guy was the only one, so i gave him to a broody serama-

also, i have 4 bantam faverolle chicks for sale if anyone is interested-
So sorry about Staypuff and Captain!

Thank for the info. about gopher spikes! I have way too many mice eating chicken feed. My dog and my Ameraucanas and Marans are good at catching them but my bantams ignore them.
Tonight I was pulling weeds around the big pen and I found a 3' snake skin. I was terrified at first but realized I haven't lost any chicks or eggs but I have seen less mice. I have 1/2" hardware cloth burried 18" all around the pen and the skin and hole were on the outside. I doubt that is deep enough to deter a snake.Hope it is content with mice.

Has anyone successfully trapped bobcats in live traps I don't want to use steel traps they are unforgiving I trap hogs wounder if the same trap would work on cats . Any ideals?
Look up trapping bobcats on you tube I've trapped a lot of different things and tried for bobcats but haven't caught one, it would take a live bait I'd think and with a hog trap as long as the mesh holes weren't too big I don't see why it couldn't be made to work just cage off the bait animal so it will be harder to get to, I've had a couple chickens and a rabbit taken from traps and not caught whatever it was that did it without setting it off on one and tripping them the other times just nothing caught. I'm finishing a very large trap 8' long x 4' wide x 5' tall, the panels have 2"x4" holes I think they are called horse panels (maybe?) it will be strong enough to hold a huge hog but I built it thinking it would work for about anyting I could convince to take the tour of it when it's ready

Back
Top Bottom