***OKIES in the BYC III ***

oreo, boy or girl? she stood so cute, does anyone else try to photoshop the backgrounds? ignore the house keeping- born may 31- my mystery chick
I maybe able to tell with a better head shot.

I know s/he is a mix but most crested breed are the same i think.

this is a female crest

and this is a roo.

see how round and compact the female crest is compared to how long pointy roos.

and yes some time i do photoshop the background if it is really ugly and messy.

we have 1 drake & 1 hen appx 1yr old; crested fawn runner ducks for sale or trade. we are having to let our babies go due to our recent health issues. please message, thanks.

Meet Juliette, my problem child legbar. Shes a sweet girl, but she's had this leg issue since she was a chick. At first I thought it was a horrible case of spraddle, but braces didn't help. I did regular physical therapy on her and stretched her leg for possible slipped tendon. No matter what I did, the leg just kept getting worse; now i's turned completely backwards. She's quite stunted, very small for her age, and still has chick down, although her sister the same age is laying. I keep her in a cage and let her play mother to chicks, and she seems happy doing so.

Because that backwards leg gives her so many issues, throwing her off balance, getting hung up in stuff, I wonder if she would be better off if it was removed. She tries to hop, but the leg always seems to prevent her. What do you guys think of surgical removal of the leg?

Meet Juliette, my problem child legbar. Shes a sweet girl, but she's had this leg issue since she was a chick. At first I thought it was a horrible case of spraddle, but braces didn't help. I did regular physical therapy on her and stretched her leg for possible slipped tendon. No matter what I did, the leg just kept getting worse; now i's turned completely backwards. She's quite stunted, very small for her age, and still has chick down, although her sister the same age is laying. I keep her in a cage and let her play mother to chicks, and she seems happy doing so.

Because that backwards leg gives her so many issues, throwing her off balance, getting hung up in stuff, I wonder if she would be better off if it was removed. She tries to hop, but the leg always seems to prevent her. What do you guys think of surgical removal of the leg?

Oh wow that makes me so sad. :(

I agree she would get around better on a stub than a twisted leg, but I wouldn't know a thing about attempting it.

That was the thing... I worked with this woman on almost a daily basis, was 'bird' friends, and had no idea. It wasn't like they were not compassionate people, they raised meal worms just to feed the anoles outside. However, I was not a close friend that she talked to about personal things. So, I don't know if she ever expressed to anyone the issues that they were having. Like everyone has mentioned, there were so many obvious alternatives - and the breeder was in the area so its not like it would have been difficult to ask for help or options.  At the same time period, we saw a yellow necked macaw for sale and bought him from the home there - it was not like he was obviously neglected, but the people there did not care about him in the least. We took him in for a time - he became friends with my female red shouldered macaw (and we think that she is noisy now....the two of them really yacked it up when they were out together!)  But when the chance came to put him into a home where he could get more attention - he went. I cried, but knew it was for the best. As far as I know, they still have him and he has traveled the world as they moved around.

I haven't, but your question inspired me to do a slew of reading. Everything I've read so far says overbonding can be corrected with patience and work, or the bird can be rehomed to somebody who is willing to do the work. I haven't read anything that advised to kill the poor bird. Killing it seems kind of the opposite of "parrot rescue".
the problem is that often the birds just wind up being re homed again and again and again.
It's much harder on the birds than on the people.

I know it "seems" that choosing life is always the best answer, but in practice, much like communism, the theory falls short.

Ready for the summer to be over. Neighbors are making our life a living hell. I'm constantly worried for our animals which takes all the joy out of having them. Its so frustrating to not be able to move.

Back
Top Bottom