***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I pulled out a few eggs since I am not seeing any pips today. One the egg looked half empty the other was chirping (so maybe some will still hatch). And the 3rd one had pipped but died in the shell. This is a mix of chicken & guinea eggs 4 different kinds of eggs total.
The humidity in the house is at 55% I am certain the rain is drowning my hatch this wk!!! Now the question is how do I take humidity out of the house so I can keep the humidity down in the incubator. The past few wks I have only put water in the cabinet incubators if it gets below 35%. The humidity in the hatcher is at 55%.
In our old house I would use damprid to draw down the humidity in the laundry room. Maybe I need to put some of that in the room with the incubator. I am going to give the eggs until tomorrow afternoon, hopefully a few more show progress soon.
Mitzi how is your hen doing today after her trip to the vet?
We have a dehumidifier in our basement. It isn't anything fancy it came with the house but is about the size of a box fan but not quite as wide. Not sure where you would buy one but maybe I need to move ours to our classroom where we have our incubator and hatcher. We have chicken eggs in the hatcher now but not a single peep yet and they are due tomorrow. We will see, but the day they moved to the hatcher somehow the outlet the incubator they were in went out and so they got down to 89 deg. for who knows how long. So they may or may not hatch. It seems like every hatch has some issue with us, lol.

I know this is a last-minute request, but is there anyone in the OKC area who can bring a bag of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth to POOPS for me? I still have not found a place in Tulsa that has it, and my folks asked me to bring some to them out at Beaver when I deliver their fancy-or-not keets later this month.

Peaches, do you have a DVD player in the car? If you want I can trade you a couple of teens. I prefer toddlers! Much less dramma & they don't roll their eyes.
HAHAHAHA
lau.gif

Getting so excited about POOPS!! Woot!

Last edited:
City clucks how much DE do you want? A whole bag or like a gallon bag? I can purchase you a bag from the coop on the way (we seriously drive past it, so not out of the way) or share some of mine. Think it was $30 or less for 50lb bag. bought it last yr. use it EVERYWHERE gave a bag to retired army wife & still have enough to get me through the season.
I even went crazy sprinkling it on my seedlings when I found aphids. my plants looked so sad covered in white powder but the aphids disappeared! I think I am at 16 keets that are healthy, and only 4 or 5 of those are pearl (one isn't alert looking & the others are hard to count as they scatter around the place).

Oceans think forgot to tell you I cut out your vinyl a wk or so ago, now I just have to remember to take it off my desk.

Trying not to be upset about the eggs still not hatching, especially since I heard a peep, but honestly we usually pull all the chicks out on Thursday afternoons when DD gets home, and right now I don't think we are even at a 25% hatch! Crazy thing is I only had 6 rose comb RIR eggs & 4 of those hatched. But I think we have 3 dozen EE & only 2 have hatched! DD is going to be way upset. She doesn't mind when we toss eggs early on, but to know there is a full chick inside makes her so sad. We turned our air on a month ago, I have way to many hot flashes in the Am & at night to go without a nice cool room! Even when we walk outside it is just hot & muggy. I feel like I am in Flordia!

I did look at amazon for dehumidfiers. I read people posting the humidity in the room should be 50% but honestly I don't have problems hatching until it rains. Everytime we get a large amount of rain it messes the hatch all up!

Last edited:
City clucks how much DE do you want? A whole bag or like a gallon bag? I can purchase you a bag from the coop on the way (we seriously drive past it, so not out of the way) or share some of mine. Think it was $30 or less for 50lb bag. bought it last yr. use it EVERYWHERE gave a bag to retired army wife & still have enough to get me through the season.
I even went crazy sprinkling it on my seedlings when I found aphids. my plants looked so sad covered in white powder but the aphids disappeared! I think I am at 16 keets that are healthy, and only 4 or 5 of those are pearl (one isn't alert looking & the others are hard to count as they scatter around the place).

Christina - do you have room for a 50 pound bag? My folks have like 160 chickens and they need it! Would love it if you can get a big bag...but please don't go to a lot of trouble If you don't have room. Yippee on the keets! So sorry about the eggs that aren't hatching though.

Christina! I just called the Tractor Supply in Sand Springs and she said they'll get some in for me, so please don't worry about the DE! Thanks so much for offering, though!

Robin - thanks for the suggestion to check at TSC!

What all are people using the DE for? I know for bug control, but do you let the chickens dust in it?, or put it on them?

Looking for frizzles and light brahma's at poops. If you can give me and idea of what it will cost me for these i would appreciate it. I would like two frizzle hens, two brahma hens and one roo. The frizzles are for my daughter so the crazyer the better please.

Back
Top Bottom