***OKIES in the BYC III ***

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
rofl!! Your dentist sounds way better than any I've been to haha!

hey mitzi, remind me to tell you about the potbelly my daughter bought about 2 years ago. i can not tell the story here, i would get banned for sure!
let me just say,,,,,, BIG blonde woman and a 300 pound pig and a FULL moon. needed eye wash for about a week after it.

My brahmas did reappear last night, so everybody is accounted for now. Need to finish getting some fencing up so my rugrat can't chase them so close to the road. They're staying really close to the house today so whatever they found out in the world, they apparently didn't like
Was on another thread reading about an egg swap. Not here in Oklahoma, but maybe something that could be incorporated into poops next yr.
You show up with your eggs, place them on the appropriate table (LF, bantam; pure, mix, other & such). Then for each dz eggs you bring you get an egg carton to fill up of others eggs. So if you only want to take 4 of X eggs then you put them in your carton & still have 8 more eggs of other varieties you can gather. Does that make sense? Maybe it is something we could try @ poops next yr.
FYI-- I am sharing this now since I will more than likely forget by the time next spring comes.
I love this idea! Maybe we should do this sometime before POOPS even. Meet at a certain place like before one of the auctions or at iHop for coffee or something and switch out eggs. I've got the LF Faverolles, the Cuckoo Marans, the Moderns....that'd be fun. I'm thinking of putting my Dark Blue LF Cochin boy in with my Cochin girls when they're fence is built. He's so sweet to the 2 EE's he's with and neither one of those girls is missing a single feather. So he's obviously not rough on them.

/dont know a thing about incubating but have a ten year old daughter that wants to try it. dose any one have advice as far as good incubators to get that arnt to pricey? may be a few how to's ?

/dont know a thing about incubating but have a ten year old daughter that wants to try it. dose any one have advice as far as good incubators to get that arnt to pricey? may be a few how to's ?
Depends on what you consider pricey. I LOVE our Brinsea Eco it is the first incubator I bought & several other Okies have them & will also say 99% good about them. I think it is perfect. I will say that if I end up hatching duck eggs I would like to get the humidity pump for it. However if you want to hatch for more than just yourself you will want something bigger.
You may want to watch out for a used GQF or like cabinet incubator. Mine were $250-$275 & if you hatch some & sell some it will pay for itself. The girl I bought my GQF from use to hatch eggs for 50c an egg, she said it was her grocery money during hatching season.

Also my DD is the reason we are setting 8 dz guinea eggs a wk, watch out those kids can get out of control!

Would it be best to have it like a donut counter where the person picking out eggs points and says, "I'd like four of the blue ones, please," and then the person behind the counter puts the four blue eggs in the carton?
lau.gif
love.gif
lau.gif
Love the idea, but the mental pics made me laugh. Glad I wasn't drinking anything.
I gotta say, to just try it, I'd go with homemade personally. If she gets into it, then you can spend more. We incubate sporadically and only for maybe 5 months out of the year. We incubate in a big homemade styrofoam incubator (less than $10 total parts if you don't include the turner) and hatch in mini styrofoam versions. All thick like through the mail kinds, not storebought thin cheapies. Big one was from pet store that they get fish shipments in. The incubator runs constantly. Eggs get candled and thinned out/moved back in the turner each week and new egg sets fill the front. Good eggs at lockdown go to the little hatchers. We can separate for breed and do staggered hatches easier that way and the main incubator doesn't get nasty from the hatching mess.

Quote:
Don't know for sure, but having looked at nuks and packages lately, most were in the $250-$300 range. If its not a good deal, I don't think it seems terribly high. Not done researching yet.

Having a mini crisis here. The poultry processor we had planned to use for the 4H meatbird project, well they aren't doing poultry anymore as of this year.
barnie.gif

Anyone have leads on any 4State area processors other than the one in Gideon, OK?

Afternoon all, hope you hada great day..
Had something special waiting for me when I got home, a hatcher full of fresh chicks.. Not much excites me when getting the chicks out but today was a good day. Added 118 to the count, some I really wanted were included the first 4 Columbian Rosecombs are out and in the world.. Sure hope they're all pullets I might just have to keep the old incubator humming and get me some more of them little guys hatched out.

I want to help with the egg swap! Can I please? I don't know about the doughnut get up tho, I look funny in those plastic shower cap thingies!
cool.png
oh sooo many things rolling thru my little mind! must not be mean! must be nice and must not get in trouble!!!!!!!

you would think at my age i would have matured at least a little bit by now, but nooooooo, i had to refuse to grow up!

oh well, at least i get to have lotsa fun!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom