***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I put 3 month old chicks in big bins in the barn Sunday. Been feeding and checking on them every day. They was doing great then today I went to feed them and 9 were dead. All laying by the watered and on top of each other. Went to take first dead one out 1 was alive under it but all the others under it was dead and squished. I don't know what happened. I am completely puzzled and upset what do y'all think happened? I have wire on the top of the bins and the room in the barn is a old feed room with walls a door and window.
Oh I'm so sorry. It was so hot and stuffy here today, was it like that there? Maybe there wasn't enough airflow.

Oh shoot-Robin, I meant to tell you how adorable the Guinea babies are! I've got 9 Guinea eggs alive and growing that I took away from the Guinea girl. They were getting eaten so fast by something that they wouldn't have made it to hatch. Anybody want them if they hatch?

Oh shoot-Robin, I meant to tell you how adorable the Guinea babies are! I've got 9 Guinea eggs alive and growing that I took away from the Guinea girl. They were getting eaten so fast by something that they wouldn't have made it to hatch. Anybody want them if they hatch?
I do if no one else does. I wonder how far apart we are.

Elia Mae, I'm so sorry about your chick loss. Sometimes, it's hard to know what happens, but I'm always amazed at how much warmth and for how long chicks need it.

Robin, you must have a rare breed of guineas, because when I was out there I never even realized you had them. I've never known guineas to be quiet for that long! But, those chicks are adorable. I can't wait to see how the ones I got from Okieridge hatch out. We haven't candled yet--still a little too early-- but soon. I'm anxious and can hardly wait for the next batch of eggs from her. This hatching thing is definitely an obsessive/compulsive disorder.... I've got a 300 gal. poly tank I use for a brooder full of chicks and can't wait until the next ones hatch!

morning folks! he coral- check out Lea( one of your ee's) and baby... so darn cute!

gonna try to make some of the little cages okieT was showing me... sure would have been handy yesterday with the cage shuffle!

how long should i keep mama guinea and babies in the coop? a month? just to give them half a chance at making it out there- was thinking that is proof the dogs are doing their jobs, if she managed a month being broody out there unprotected...

Good morning all! Well was out loading some stuff in the truck yesterday and heard a semi honk down the road from the house about a 1/4 of a mile, I looked up in time to see our piggy that got out running down the highway!!! Dakota and I drove down and herded him back home and cornered him and Dakota carried him back to his pen!!! The weighs about 75 lbs.!!! Glad to get him back, sure thought he was coyote bait, thank you God!!! Had two chicks hatch from under a Broodie, she was so worried about the two getting out of the nest that she wouldn't sett out the rest of the eggs, will throw them out today, they were chilled so don't expect any more to hatch. have another due to hatch any time, so may put the two with her if she will take them. Will check in later, have a great day, Lynn
cool.png

Glad you got your piggie Greybear!!!

My long weekend is here!~ After going to the doctor today I will be at the lake for the rest of the weekend, I am so looking forward to it.

Hope everyone has a safe weekend.

Lynn, I'm really glad you found your piggy! God was smiling on you.
smile.png
Those broody hens can sure be a headache sometimes, though, can't they? I finally took all the chicks away from my 3 silky broodies, for a couple of reasons. One, the little buggers could get through screen wire, I swear! I was constantly having to round them up and put them back in the pen. And, the other was that the hens were so protective they would try to kill any other chicken that got near them. I finally got tired of the battle and just moved the chicks to the brooder. Worked out much better all the way around.

Carah, enjoy your weekend at the lake. I hope the dr. is just for a checkup.

Back
Top Bottom