Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, we just got home from Vegas .... FINALLY! All the critters look good, except Gerald said our Brabanter pen has birds hacking & sneezing and one has swollen eyes too.

Where do you buy the Tylan? We've got to get those birds on med's immediately before whatever it is spreads to the other birds.

Maybe I should go to a vet tomorrow?

Well, I just did a search on tylan here on BYC and learned that is what most people give their chickens for respiratory illnesses. I'm going to go see if they have it at Tractor Supply tomorrow morning, and if not, hopefully Swaim Serum has it at 15th & Agnew in OKC. Hopefully I can find the powder, so I can add it to the drinking water, since the Brabanter pen has about 20 birds in it, and I sure don't want to try injections! I know, I need to learn how!

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, one pyr I bought from a lady in Stroud, I think, and then the other I got from Tina, aka Luvs2garden2000. I think they spayed the momma dog though, after the litter. I'm going to buy an AKC male pup next week from a lady in Chandler that has a litter. They're $200 each now, and she used to sell them for $500 each before the economy took such a dive. I think she has an ad on OK4Free right now. Yep, here it is ... but the pup on the left is spoken for ... I have a deposit on him!
big_smile.png
http://www.ok4free.com/listing.php?id=10745

Quote:
Hey, she did advertise her pups on craigslist though, that she'd consider a trade for dairy goats. I already asked if she'd trade for chickens and unfortunately she said no.
sad.png

I would love to breed my registered pyr female eventually, and possibly the other if I still think they're great dogs & don't develop undesirable traits ... but not too soon, and especially not if the economy gets worse. I'm afraid that many people couldn't aford the feed bill on these guys. We're feeding ours Diamond Premium ... and at $25 for a bag that lasts my 5 dogs one week .... well, that's quite an expense.

Carla I have had my best luck with LS-50 for the crud that the birds get. It's water soluble and is easy to use but pricey. It will also cover CRD which is caused by a micoplasm which Tylan won't get.

The generic type is called Lincomycin-Spectinomycin and may be just a tad cheaper but both are around 30 dollars to treat 25 gals of water.

NN is that the injectable? I have LA-200. I switched from Tylan to Terramycin in the water to gang treat everybody... would I get better results with the LA? How do I go about dosing? Thanks.

Carla, I dose them 1/4 cc for banty types and 1/2 for standards..... but I like NNs idea if ya have a bunch that need to be treated at once. Terramycin sux... I was hoping that whatever it was would be easy enough to treat with it... I don't have any eyes involved just snarking and huddling up... I wish the dang weather would decide... are we gonna freeze or roast?!

Last edited:
I think Terramycin is what I used, and it always worked well for me. LA-200 is what we give our cattle, my husband always offers me an injection when I'm not feeling well.
lol.png
Sorry I'm no more help on this guys.

Carla, do you know a vet around Grady that treats chickens? I've asked the OSU Extension office and my vet, and they both told me to call a guy named Johnny Files in Tuttle. Never did, didn't have the need to thank goodness.

Last edited:
I looked it up and LS-50 is different than LA-200... wasn't paying attention(explains the parking lot incident) Anyhow...the LS-50 looks pretty good... Did they have it at TSC? Or will I have to get it off the web? See ya!

Quote:
Cammie, I'm not familiar with this man, but eventually should look him up I guess. It would be good to find one that is recommended. Oh, and Gerald told me that when his dad was alive, he would only use antibiotics he got from the vet. He didn't like doctors or hospitals. He didn't die from any of those med's, but he did have a stroke because of high blood pressure and not taking med's for that.

I bought the container of Lincomycin-Spectinomycin water soluble powder and it cost $46.72 for 75 grams, which treats 25 gallons of water. Wow, Swaim Serum sure charges a lot for it. I need to research it on the internet I guess to see if anyone carries it for less. I also guess I should find Tylan eventually, too.

NNbreeder, what is the measurement you use for adding LS-50 to water? It says 2 grams per gallon, but I'm not sure how to convert that to teaspoons.

Last edited:
Carla I found it at Valleyvet.com for 29.00. Wow thought it would be cheaper... but I bet it will work well for you. And injecting a jillion chickens is a pain!! water is better!! Trying to find out who you did and who you've done... jeez...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom