Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres a pic of my almost finished coop and run, with fence around my garden and coop.

dsc00230il2.jpg

Okie Cluckers, welcome to the board!

Grace, that is such a cute picture! They are so tiny! They almost look like they have poofy heads ??? I like that nail polish, too *ha*

Jim and Chickenhead, ya'll make my chickens look like they are neglected. *ha* Very nice setups.

Awesome pens and runs, guys
big_smile.png

Cluckers, welcome to the board
frow.gif

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
I don't think any of them have crests, although it was a possibility for them to because one of the drakes did...
I took more pictures of them... I'll post them in a bit
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks
lol.png
It wasn't the best color choice to have on around little beaks/bills that are attracted to reddish colors - do you have any idea how many time I came within seconds of loosing my fingers (j/k)

CLucky............welcome aboard.......... hope you enjoy this place........ loads of awesome peeps.........my favorite people are okies of course
wink.png
good to have you !
Nice work chickenhead and jmd.........you all could come over and help me with mine now
wink.png

egh, that is a beautiful bird! I keep watching waiting for it to crow when the sun comes up. *ha*

Went back to the doctor today. My flu test keeps coming back negative but my blood work looked horrible this time. So they are pretty sure I have the flu. She said to give it about 48 more hours to start feeling better. *sigh*
sad.png

I still have 6 feather-legged bantam chicks that need new homes!

Welcome Tataharris & Okie-Cluckers to the BYC Okies Forum! This is a great forum, isn't it!

Anybody going to the Harrah Auction Saturday night? If all goes well, Gerald and I intend to show up to it. I think we're going to take some rolls of wire fencing, galvanized 2 X 3 in. and a nice welded square tube gate to the auction, along with a pair of Spitzhauben and a pair of Brabanter chickens. These are young breeders. I have too many roosters plucking my hens backs bare, so I'm starting to sell a breeder pair at a time, until I think the rooster population is in check. I also have a dozen call duck eggs I intend to take to the auction.

I sure would love to bring some chicks to the auction, but I'm worried they'd get too cold. I've got Spitzhauben and Brabanter chicks, and also the Araucana/Ameraucana/EE/Mix breed chicks that I hatched from eggs I bought at the Harrah auction a month ago. I've got to move some chicks out ... another 70+eggs are due to hatch in a few days.

Countyroad, please get well soon!

Nice pens everyone! That is nice to share to see
what to do to improve!

We are lucky to have a nice big chicken house and
my hubby built a totally enclosed pen that's about
20 by 20 for them to 'laze around' in.

We have a 'brooder' that hubby built a few
years ago....one side is totally enclosed with
a drop light and thermometer with a wire-mesh
floor (we put papers down for warmth and
for the babies to feel 'secure' at first), then the
other side is about twice as big with the same
wire on the sides and floor for them to grow
big enough to 'let down' in the regular pen.

CountryRoad....where do you live? We might
have to make a road trip for some baby banties!

KB

Also, (while writing about the brooder), we bought a pair of OE Silver Duckwing at the Cement sale. I thought the rooster was a little old and seemed a little frail, but I bought them 'cheep'.
smile.png
)) He didn't make it, so 'Amy' was by herself for about a week in the brooder (she is too little to allow in the pen with the other birds - I don't want her hurt!), so we
went to Atwoods and bought 8 chicks. Lo and behold, she thought she was in Heaven and even though the chicks were a few days old and weren't hers, she is their "Momma" now. How darn cute!

We love to put grass and/or bread bits in there and watch her 'call' her kids to the buffet! It is so cute and relaxing to watch them. '

We also like to watch the two different sets of peafowl get their 'society' situated. The first two were quite timid until the second two showed up. Now the black-shouldered pair is dominant and will come up to us for treats, when they used to back off!

As for our new guineas....they are also a 'hoot' to watch, as they come up to you with that goofy quizical look as if to say "What goodies do you have for us now?"

Anyway...I appreciate the warm welcome, the pictures, and the sharing of information on this board. I don't know if I said, but I have horses that are my 'main event', but the birds are something fun to watch.

KB

www.itsmysite.com/goldrose

Much to my dismay I think that I cannot get chickens until after we move, maybe sometime next year. I cannot think of a good (secure) coop and run setup that will be easy to remove or relocate for showing our house next spring/summer. And I know most of the people that would be into buying my house wouldn't want a chicken coop. *sigh* I'm so disappointed that I'm being so adult about this.

I was really looking forward to buying some chicks, making a coop, and watching the mayhem. Every time I have kitchen scraps I think "Chickens would LOVE this." Every time I use a store bought egg I think about how great it would be to have my own fresh eggs instead.

I'm still reading up on keeping chickens, still working on my coop and run design...and yet so very bummed that I can't do anything about it until next year at the earliest.
sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom