Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks Lynn, I'll have to go look & see.
smile.png

Quote:
Teach - I will have 4 bunnies for you at POOPS. I am saving some of the ones that I think will grow the largest for your friend.

Notes? Aren't those the pieces of paper I put in my pocket and don't find until the next time I wear the jacket?
barnie.gif

Quote:
Jenna,
There are several folks on this forum who sell birds and chicks and who are not very far from you. Once you decide what breeds you want to consider let us know and someone should be able to fix you up. If you go to the first page of this forum, you can see who is in the OKC/Tuttle/Norman area. I don't think you would go wrong buying hens from an Okie on the BYC - we don't want anyone unhappy with us.
jumpy.gif

You asked about what to expect in the way of chickens at an auction. The biggest thing to watch for is unhealthy looking birds and roosters with really long spurs (means they are old). You might want to learn how to vent check a hen to determine whether she is laying. (a laying hen should have at gap between her pelvic bones at least two fingers wide - or she hasn't started to lay yet or it has been a long time since she layed an egg) Look for smooth skin on the legs, to avoid mites. A non-feathered leg chicken shouldn't have scales that stand out - they should lay flat along the leg.

If you want chicks, consider checking them out at Lumber 2, Tractor Supply and of course there is always Atwoods.

Quote:
You know us military guys we are always doing the covert OP's thing, but we are still watching you.

AL

Quote:
You know us military guys we are always doing the covert OP's thing, but we are still watching you.

AL

AL - on an internet forum, I think that is called "lurking"
lol.png

Quote:
Oh, I love it when they get peafowl there! They are so gorgeous to look at.... and to imagine I have the space for one
roll.png

Well, the Spitz roo is settling in, although he seams to miss his brooder buddies. I can hardly see how Sherri chose first, and I was still left with this gorgeous guy! He is older and much more handsome than I let myself hope for, and he goes perfectly with my little hen
love.gif

Great! I'm glad he has a nice new home and his very own new girlfriend.

Grace, the method I used to choose was merely looking at the crest. He matched the pullets & my hen crest. Both roos were very nice. I think we are equally overjoyed with Carla's Spitz. And it makes me feel better to hear you say the one you got goes perfectly with your hen.

It's great to hear you got a peacock pair Carla. I didn't stay around long enough to see that. Once I get a little better equipped (more pens), I would definitely consider getting some. Most of the time, the Durant auction has peacocks there. They are so beautiful.

Cold and blustery here today as well.... No sun yet...
hmm.png
Have to take my Mom in to the lab for bloodwork today... and do some minute shopping. Caught 2 more meeces in the trap by Mrs. Squeaky this morning. Ahhh... I love the smell of drowned mice in the morning!
sickbyc.gif
I ma going to get another trap fpor the north coop as well... thanks for the info Special Agent Seminerio... It was fun talking to your better half on the phone last night! Learned some of your deepest, darkest secrets!! HAHAHA!
ep.gif

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! They weren't kidding about the BYC forum being the friendliest forum where they?

Thank you so much poultryand bees. I'll check out the first page and see who I can come up with. I did not know that about laying hens, very helpful information! Right now I'm most interested in Buff Orphingtons and Dominiques. Also considered getting a few Cornish Game Hens. Not really sure yet. I really considered just ordering a Bargain special from a hatchery that has a wide variety of everything so I can choose what breed I like by experience, but I just haven't made up my mind yet. I'm thinking about making my way down to the Blanchard auction next weekend. Can you tell I'm bad about making decisions?!

Jenna

Hennie,

I'm still around. I just get behind on all my reading and sometimes I have to spend a day catching up. But I'm not doing anything sinister or anything like that.
smile.png

Carla,

A guy from Purcell stopped by my house yesterday looking to buy some birds. I couldn't help him so I sent him to you. He said his kids are wanting some 'white chickens'. Maybe you can help him.

Sherri,

I appreciate all the work you put in on those labels. They rock !

-Stimp-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom