OMG about to vomit. Really gory movie.

Quote:
That was a pretty good movie. A lot of people boycott real diamonds because of the conditions under which they are mined.

Love your signatures.

I am one of those people. I would never, EVER wear or own a diamond. There are NO diamonds available in this country that do not have someone's blood on them... thus the term "blood diamonds".

Buy me Swarovski crystals instead of diamonds. Way better!
smile.png

Unfortunately where ever there are humans, you will have stories like this. There will always be people willing to do horrible things to others in the name of power and greed. I would not boycott anything until I was sure about the facts though. Not all diamonds have blood on them. There are lots of examples of horrible things done in the name of greed, for instance the building of the pyramids was done with mostly slave labor. We learn from what others have done, and try to advocate for the downtrodden. Just be careful of what we say because if we don't have our facts straight we can do damage to companies that are trying to stay in business.

While I can watch the goriest of horror films with no problem, truer to life or just hard hitting, realistic films can really just stick with me and definitely can hit hard. Documentaries can rip at me too, like "Ghosts of Rwanda", but even more artsy films like, "Grave of Fireflies" can tear me up. That was actually the first film I ever cried during...and it was animated. I watched it alone with my then boyfriend on a projector at his college, and thought I subtly got up to "use the bathroom". Yeah, he definitely was in there a few seconds later and held me as I bawled like a baby. Same thing with things I see and people I meet though. I have found just acknowledging their pain can sometimes help lessen it. I'm glad there are people who choose to learn about situations instead of deny them or trivialize them.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Yes that's very true. The diamond mining in Africa is just another example of a portion of an industry that screws it up for all the others in that industry. Then the industry has to spend millions on advertising to try to get their good name back. Doesn't the US ban diamond imports from Africa?

Of course just about everybody buys goods from China and they are notorious for poor working conditions and forced child labor. Not to mention the high level of environmental damage they are doing to their country. If we didn't have Chinese goods in our stores the shelves would be close to empty.

Movies like what you are talking about help people to see what others in the world have to endure. It helps you to realize how lucky we are. It's also one of the reasons I don't believe in a loving God.

Quote:
No "Dead Alive" has that one beat by a mile.

Have to check it out. Hostel was pretty bizarre. Waking up all ties up with some weirdo wanting to torture you to death. At least in movies like chainsaw masacre the people were stupid and had obviously never seen a horror flick before.

It's set in Japan towards the end of WWII and is based on a semi-autobiographical novel of the same name. It largely follows a brother and his sister. I don't want to give anything away though! It was such a good movie...but I'm not sure I will ever watch it again. Really hit me hard. :\\

Back
Top Bottom