One baby chick with what appears to be an impacted crop that won't go away

cass85

Chirping
Aug 28, 2019
So I recently got two baby chicks. They're about a week old. Two days ago I noticed a lump leaning off to the side of her neck. I did some research and figured out it was most likely an impacted crop. I fed her some oil and water while massaging it. In the morning it was gone. Then later that day, after having moved her inside, she ate alittle bit and I noticed it was larger than before and she was peeping really loud and she wouldn't walk?? I have no idea what could have caused it since I observed her food and all she ate was starter. I am considering having my boyfriend bring her to an emergency animal clinic but I'm not sure if that's necessary yet? I also observed that her wings lay much closer together than that of the other chick. And that didn't start until the first impacted crop. I'll also have to wait till Saturday in order to bring her when my boyfriend is able to take her, and I'm not sure what to do in the meantime or if it's okay to wait? Please give advice.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're feeding them just fine.
Is your chick not eating anything at all and showing obvious signs of distress?
Has the lump ever gone down at times?
It's possible she could have eaten some bedding and got it caught. This post has a helpful remedy:
Baby Chick, Impacted Crop!!

It's normal for a chicks crop to appear really large and distorted and somewhat concerning. One of my chicks always had a ridiculous crop, not like the others, but she was fine.
full-crop.jpg

Some chicks are just noisy and sometimes using a heat lamp can cause undue stress. It's also normal for chickens to not eat during the night because they should be sleeping. But a heat lamp will keep them awake all hours and they have no sense of day or night. It's alarming when there's no food available, though it certainly won't hurt them, it'll just make them anxious. You could try making a Mama Heating Pad or Pseudo Brooder Heater ‘Plate’ to help calm and acclimate your chicks as they grow. I've used one for my last 2 batches of chicks and they were always very content during the day and completely silent at night... just a bit of scuffling and loud peeping as the sun was setting. You do have to teach them to stay warm underneath but it's totally worth it!

This is a link to my article: How I made a Mama Heating Pad Plate
A video shows how a really loud chick becomes quiet.

I hope it's nothing serious and you're just an overprotective chicken mom like I was.

It sounds like you're feeding them just fine.
Is your chick not eating anything at all and showing obvious signs of distress?
Has the lump ever gone down at times?
It's possible she could have eaten some bedding and got it caught. This post has a helpful remedy:
Baby Chick, Impacted Crop!!

It's normal for a chicks crop to appear really large and distorted and somewhat concerning. One of my chicks always had a ridiculous crop, not like the others, but she was fine.
View attachment 1891605

Some chicks are just noisy and sometimes using a heat lamp can cause undue stress. It's also normal for chickens to not eat during the night because they should be sleeping. But a heat lamp will keep them awake all hours and they have no sense of day or night. It's alarming when there's no food available, though it certainly won't hurt them, it'll just make them anxious. You could try making a Mama Heating Pad or Pseudo Brooder Heater ‘Plate’ to help calm and acclimate your chicks as they grow. I've used one for my last 2 batches of chicks and they were always very content during the day and completely silent at night... just a bit of scuffling and loud peeping as the sun was setting. You do have to teach them to stay warm underneath but it's totally worth it!

This is a link to my article: How I made a Mama Heating Pad Plate
A video shows how a really loud chick becomes quiet.

I hope it's nothing serious and you're just an overprotective chicken mom like I was.
Thank you so much, that was extremely helpful. No the lump has not gone down at all unfortunately , but I will definitely use the heating pad idea! Also is there a reason she might be pulling out her feathers? I was wondering if she might be molting since its the end of summer but her companion is not doing the same. Is this normal?

If the chicks are only a week old they won't be molting in the fall like adult birds, and usually won't go through a true molt until about 18 months old. But chicks do go through several "baby" molts as new feathers replace the down and smaller feathers. Sometimes the crop area can get pretty bare, nothing to worry about. That can also make it stand out more and appear to never be empty.

Could the plucking you see be the chicks preening? That's just a way of cleaning the sheath casings that flake off from the pin feathers as they grow and grooming the new ones into place. Is there any blood or open sores?

Yes, it is perfectly normal for chicks (even of the same breed) to develop at different rates. If your chicks are continuing to eat and drink regularly, things are looking good.

What are they eating? Just chick starter?
Yes, chick starter, grit, and a few ground up oats that my local feed store suggested I throw in. I apologize if I'm getting repetitive or just being over worried but something seems off about her behavior and her appearance that I can't quite place. Again, I hope I'm not bothering you.

If the chicks are only a week old they won't be molting in the fall like adult birds, and usually won't go through a true molt until about 18 months old. But chicks do go through several "baby" molts as new feathers replace the down and smaller feathers. Sometimes the crop area can get pretty bare, nothing to worry about. That can also make it stand out more and appear to never be empty.

Could the plucking you see be the chicks preening? That's just a way of cleaning the sheath casings that flake off from the pin feathers as they grow and grooming the new ones into place. Is there any blood or open sores?

Yes, it is perfectly normal for chicks (even of the same breed) to develop at different rates. If your chicks are continuing to eat and drink regularly, things are looking good.
Thank you so so much this really helped me!

Back
Top Bottom