One eye closed, one eye open?

emmagat

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi all! I have a hen that has been keeping one of her eyes closed and one of them open. The closed eye feels a little bit puffy and I noticed this issue 2 days ago and I thought that she must have scratched it on something or got pecked. She also just started laying, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. She’s starting to get a little lethargic too, and I have a vet appointment on Monday for her, but I’m worried about her for the rest of today and tomorrow. I have VetRX in the house but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing to use so if anyone has any answers they’re greatly appreciated!!

Can you see anything in the eye, such as dirt, a foreign body, mucus, pus, or bubbles? Can you post a picture? Does she have any sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage? Can you get her drinking some water with electrolytes/vitamins, and try to feed some very watery chicken feed with some egg? Do you think that she was pecked, or could she have a respiratory infection with a swollen eye? You can buy Tylan 50 injectable at some feed stores in the cattle medicines. That can treat mycoplasma or MG which can cause swelling in an eye and sinus infection. Get some 3 ml syringes and 20 gauge needles (ask a clerk for those.) The medicine can be given orally by removing the needle from the syringe. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for 3-5 days.

I would also clean the eye with saline and apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. Terramycin Ointment is available at most feed stores, if you ask a clerk.

Can you see anything in the eye, such as dirt, a foreign body, mucus, pus, or bubbles? Can you post a picture? Does she have any sneezing, gasping, or nasal drainage? Can you get her drinking some water with electrolytes/vitamins, and try to feed some very watery chicken feed with some egg? Do you think that she was pecked, or could she have a respiratory infection with a swollen eye? You can buy Tylan 50 injectable at some feed stores in the cattle medicines. That can treat mycoplasma or MG which can cause swelling in an eye and sinus infection. Get some 3 ml syringes and 20 gauge needles (ask a clerk for those.) The medicine can be given orally by removing the needle from the syringe. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for 3-5 days.

There’s a little bit of clear mucous coming out of her right nostril (her left eye is having the problem). I’m really hoping it’s not mycoplasma, but if it is, is it treatable/curable? And here’s some pictures. The first picture is of her good eye and the last 4 are of her bad eye.

FC0E1E0E-E394-4D72-BC1F-C816EE222873.jpeg
2323894D-E834-4807-A0D1-35C4D32FCF5A.jpeg
59EBEE4C-0913-48DE-AF74-60B2B15714F9.jpeg
7550FD46-7F74-4B38-9394-7EA0E415D028.jpeg
47693C23-8433-4585-B83C-F4A7929D6D76.jpeg

I would also clean the eye with saline and apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye twice a day. Terramycin Ointment is available at most feed stores, if you ask a clerk.

Also there isn’t any bubbles in her eye, but it does look swollen and feel swollen. Although I could be imagining it.

Hi! In the last pic the eye itself appears to me to be ok, and the swelling is visible around the eye. Is that how she looks to you? I had a hen come down hard off the roost and she looked very much like that. If you don't see signs of infection or crud stuck in her eye you could be lucky and have soft tissue swelling that needs no treatment. I took mine to the vet and was relieved and SO glad I didn't start digging around looking for pus!

Hopefully someone with more experience will say something, I wish you and your hen all the best!

Cathy

I would get the Terramycin ointment for now, and keep her eye cleaned while applying the ointment twice a day. Clean her nostrils as well. I have used plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment in a pinch until I could get Terramycin.

Hi! In the last pic the eye itself appears to me to be ok, and the swelling is visible around the eye. Is that how she looks to you? I had a hen come down hard off the roost and she looked very much like that. If you don't see signs of infection or crud stuck in her eye you could be lucky and have soft tissue swelling that needs no treatment. I took mine to the vet and was relieved and SO glad I didn't start digging around looking for pus!

Hopefully someone with more experience will say something, I wish you and your hen all the best!

Cathy

Thank you! And I didn’t see any pus or anything but I noticed this a couple days ago so I’m hoping and praying that she just hit her eye or something. I really really really hope it’s not a disease.

I would get the Terramycin ointment for now, and keep her eye cleaned while applying the ointment twice a day. Clean her nostrils as well. I have used plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment in a pinch until I could get Terramycin.

Thank you so much for your help!! I’m hoping that it isn’t a sickness and that she just bumped her eye or something innocent like that.

Back
Top Bottom