One hen stopped laying

Furiousmomma

Hatching
May 8, 2022
I have 3 hens. 1 is about a year old and the others about 6 months. They were all laying great till about a month ago. Then one of the 6 month old randomly stopped laying. She is my only Easter egger. Nothing in the coop has changed and the others are still laying like normal. She is also acting just fine. Does anyone have any ideas why she stopped or what I can do to get her laying again.

My first two thoughts are either a nutrition issue or perhaps she's become an egg eater.
What kind of feed are they on?

I have 3 hens. 1 is about a year old and the others about 6 months. They were all laying great till about a month ago. Then one of the 6 month old randomly stopped laying. She is my only Easter egger. Nothing in the coop has changed and the others are still laying like normal. She is also acting just fine. Does anyone have any ideas why she stopped or what I can do to get her laying again.
I’m having the exact same problem. I have 5 hens all are almost two years old. All of them started laying fine at 6 months old. At about one year old my Easter eager stopped laying. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and gets bullied a bit but nothing serious. She hasn’t laid in about 8 months. I would love to get her laying again because she seems healthy. Any ideas?

Im not sure what temperature is where you are but it can be also from heat if nothing else changed. I have ex- battery that layed every day then about this week they slowed down and yesterday was not so hot and today they are back at laying. Do you free range, maybe hidden nest? It can be also as other said nutrition, molting or egg eater.

Im not sure what temperature is where you are but it can be also from heat if nothing else changed. I have ex- battery that layed every day then about this week they slowed down and yesterday was not so hot and today they are back at laying. Do you free range, maybe hidden nest? It can be also as other said nutrition, molting or egg eater.
I live in coastal Southern California so it doesn’t get too hot here. My chickens free range during the day but I think I’ve been feeding them too many kitchen scraps. I’m going to tighten up their diet and only let them eat their purina pellets, oyster shells and mealworms for a while. My easter egger seems a little weird. She walks slower than the others and doesn’t make any sounds other than a chirp sound when she gets pecked by the dominant chicken. It’s been almost 8 months since she laid an egg. I had given up thinking she was just an odd one. But now I’m determined to give another good effort to get her laying again. I think she’s healthy. Her comb is a good bright red and I already checked her flute and gave her many epsom salt baths when the problem first occurred. I’m thinking of giving her her own area near the other chickens so she can eat in peace without getting pecked. My best guess is that she‘s a nervous chicken that is stressed by being low in the pecking order.

I live in coastal Southern California so it doesn’t get too hot here. My chickens free range during the day but I think I’ve been feeding them too many kitchen scraps. I’m going to tighten up their diet and only let them eat their purina pellets, oyster shells and mealworms for a while. My easter egger seems a little weird. She walks slower than the others and doesn’t make any sounds other than a chirp sound when she gets pecked by the dominant chicken. It’s been almost 8 months since she laid an egg. I had given up thinking she was just an odd one. But now I’m determined to give another good effort to get her laying again. I think she’s healthy. Her comb is a good bright red and I already checked her flute and gave her many epsom salt baths when the problem first occurred. I’m thinking of giving her her own area near the other chickens so she can eat in peace without getting pecked. My best guess is that she‘s a nervous chicken that is stressed by being low in the pecking order.
I have the same issue with my EE. Hasn’t laid an egg since last fall before she molted. She gets pecked on and has lost some feathers. Definitely the at the bottom of the pecking order.
I’m curious to know if you have had any luck with your girl.

M
I have the same issue with my EE. Hasn’t laid an egg since last fall before she molted. She gets pecked on and has lost some feathers. Definitely the at the bottom of the pecking order.
I’m curious to know if you have had any luck with your girl.
Maybe yours is at stressful situations all the time and can't get enough food? Since she is at the bottom

Back
Top Bottom