One lone duck

Pmcd

Chirping
Nov 15, 2018
Opp, Alabama
i need some advice here. We had three ducks in our pen...a welsh harlequin, a buff Orpington, and an Indian runner. Got them all as babies and they got along fine but then the welsh would bully the runner when the runner would be in the little pond we had for them. She would get on fop of her and bite at her neck and hold her under water. It didn’t happen all the time and at times the three would happily be paddling in the water. Well the other week we came home to find the all three in the water but the runner was rocking back and forth. We walked over to their pen which caused the other two ducks to hop out of the water and as they did they went right over her pushing her under. We immediately got her out and called our vet. She was bruised from her neck down to her tail and fortunately no major wounds. We have since rehomed the other two ducks but now realize the runner probably needs a friend. What would be our best solution? An adult? Another runner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like your runner was getting "mated to death"! What you described in the pool with the duck on top biting her neck is how they mate. I bet you had all males except for the little runner girl which is not good. I had 3 males & 4 females and the problem I had was the males wanting to be the boss of the other males. Had to get rid of 2 of the boys but not because of over-mating with the girls but for pure meanness. So I think that if you aren't interested in having fertile eggs just go with all females and things should be good in your duck kingdom but your duck needs a friend or she will be very lonely.

My Runners are very attached to each other and they have 2 Buff Orpingtons who hatched with them that are attached too when I say attached I very seldom see one with out all 7 lined up behind each other [that kind of attached.] So if at all Possible another female Runner your Runners age or slightly younger or older. She would probably bond with another female I'd def go with females but Runners are just so unique in their attachment to one another if you could find another couple Runners? And always introduce slowly so they have time to get to know each other before being put together. Maybe temp fencing between for a week?

so sorry to hear that happened!

we have two runner ducks, both female, and the larger blue runner duck does the same thing to the smaller fawn runner duck (Clever), getting on top of her in the pond. fortunately, Clever has never been hurt.

i need some advice here. We had three ducks in our pen...a welsh harlequin, a buff Orpington, and an Indian runner. Got them all as babies and they got along fine but then the welsh would bully the runner when the runner would be in the little pond we had for them. She would get on fop of her and bite at her neck and hold her under water. It didn’t happen all the time and at times the three would happily be paddling in the water. Well the other week we came home to find the all three in the water but the runner was rocking back and forth. We walked over to their pen which caused the other two ducks to hop out of the water and as they did they went right over her pushing her under. We immediately got her out and called our vet. She was bruised from her neck down to her tail and fortunately no major wounds. We have since rehomed the other two ducks but now realize the runner probably needs a friend. What would be our best solution? An adult? Another runner? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you go to the Alabama state thread? I see you did! Maybe post an ad on craigs list stating what your looking for and age and sex. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
Actually, all three were females which is why I was surprised with their action. I am trying to find her a friend but have had no luck so far.

Back
Top Bottom