One single lonely chick. What do I do???

TheBantamRoo

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
Hi all. So we have some quail eggs and two chicken eggs in an incubator. The quail eggs pipped yesterday and one of the chicks actually just hatched. We think the other chick died because the egg quit developing. The quail eggs have yet to finish hatching

So my question is what do I do about this??? The chick is so small and it’s peeps are so sweet, but it breaks my heart every time it peeps because it’s lonely. Right now, it’s 7:30 EST and we are at least 1 hour away from the closest Tractor Supply for any more chicks (and I doubt they have any that are as young as this one)

Attachments

• EEA96068-F88F-42F0-8B7F-1A7A6870FF3A.jpeg
    EEA96068-F88F-42F0-8B7F-1A7A6870FF3A.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 23
I would go to TSC as soon as you can and get some more. My chicks have a 2 week difference and are fine. Good luck with your chick!

For the time being, adding a small mirror to the enclosure will help it feel not-alone. But yea, I would strongly agree with the others about getting a few additional chicks to live with this one.

Can I put one of my broody hens in a heated place with it? Will the hen take to the chick if it peeps?

For the time being, adding a small mirror to the enclosure will help it feel not-alone. But yea, I would strongly agree with the others about getting a few additional chicks to live with this one.
We just put a little beanie baby in there with it. The chick really seems to like hands tho.

Can I put one of my broody hens in a heated place with it? Will the hen take to the chick if it peeps?
How long has the hen been broody? I hear it is a decent likelyhood if they've been broody for some time.

Either way, worth a shot. Just be sure to stick around in case she turns on the chick.

How long has the hen been broody? I hear it is a decent likelyhood if they've been broody for some time.

Either way, worth a shot. Just be sure to stick around in case she turns on the chick.
We tried the broody hen, but she was more focused on getting out of the pen instead of caring for the chick

UPDATE: Two of the quail chicks have hatched and we can head a third in the incubator. T he chick has friends now, I think he’s gonna be ok. God has everything worked out. :yesss::jumpy

Back
Top Bottom