Only 1 of 12 eggs hatched

Jennyb473

In the Brooder
May 4, 2019
We have been incubating duck eggs in a makeshift incubator since April 4th, Rubbermaid bin with heating pad, bowl of water for humidity and a thermometer. We had a momma mallard lay her nest in our front flower garden, we didn't know anything about it until April 1st when we spotted her the first time sitting on her nest. She left sometime over night and never returned, but had been sitting all day on the 1st. There were 13 eggs and based on timing of seeing ducks in our front yard, we assume that was either the first or second day she was sitting. By the 4th we decided to bring the eggs in and see what we could do. One egg pipped on Sunday night, April 28th and starting zipping Monday. I had to help with final hatching on Tuesday as he was stuck and couldn't completely get out. He's fine and oh so adorable but none of the other 11 eggs are doing anything. Is it too late now, 5 days later for anything to start? None of them smell but some do have some really dark streaking under the shell.

You could candle them now and see if any are still alive.
I've been trying that and haven't seen movement in any of them since before Easter, but obviously at least one still had movement! They feel heavy, except for the 3 i haven't been confident in for longer than that. Would they smell by now if all dead? Why would only 1 make it when all were in the exaxt same environment?

Can you see air cells at least?
If any others are going to hatch, they should look dark all the way up to the air cell, and the air cell itself will get out of shape and draw down toward the fat end more, as the baby gets into hatching position.

Being that you didn’t incubate for a few days, how cold did they get while nothing was on them? Did she at least cover the nest with leaves, feathers, etc? If they got an active start, 4 days may have just been too long for most of them. :(

One of my broodies quit after a couple weeks. I’m finishing hers in my incubator right now.

We are totally new to this, there have always been definite air sacs on the ends, some have gotten smaller as the ducks were getting bigger. I just attempted candling them all again and don't see any movement, but some are quite large black masses with good sized air sacs but I still don't see any movement like I did when they were first developing.
IMG_20190504_194227.jpg
IMG_20190504_194314.jpg

We are totally new to this
Can you see air cells at least?
If any others are going to hatch, they should look dark all the way up to the air cell, and the air cell itself will get out of shape and draw down toward the fat end more, as the baby gets into hatching position.

Being that you didn’t incubate for a few days, how cold did they get while nothing was on them? Did she at least cover the nest with leaves, feathers, etc? If they got an active start, 4 days may have just been too long for most of them. :(

One of my broodies quit after a couple weeks. I’m finishing hers in my incubator right now.

I'm in Florida, but it did get down to the low to mid 50s overnight those few nights and she didn't cover the nest when she left. I'm just confused on one making it and none of the others when all but 4 I think we're progressing the same all along

We are totally new to this, there have always been definite air sacs on the ends, some have gotten smaller as the ducks were getting bigger. I just attempted candling them all again and don't see any movement, but some are quite large black masses with good sized air sacs but I still don't see any movement like I did when they were first developing. View attachment 1763655 View attachment 1763656

First one has a lot of clear area, not so good. The second one looks possibly still viable. I’d say just give them more time and see what happens. If they don’t smell bad, it shouldn’t hurt to leave them in there.

Back
Top Bottom