Only one chick hatched

black_spider86

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
First time incubating over here, shipped eggs, and only one chick has hatched. It's been 2+ days now, so not holding out hope for the remaining three left in the incubator. This poor babe is lonely, and cries and cries SO LOUDLY until we come to it. Which obviously, we cannot do constantly. It calms immediately if we are near, and is currently practically swaddled in a blanket sleeping on the couch with my daughter. I'm scared to allow that all night.

We have a hen that we put chicks under when she failed to hatch her clutch about five weeks ago. She's been a great mama, but hasn't left them to themselves yet. I'm afraid if I sneak this new little one under her that her other bigger chicks will kill it. Has anyone ever tried this?

We tried to get some chicks today at Rural King, but they were out. I'll call again tomorrow and Friday. Does anyone have any tips? We need some sleep, and are really invested in this little one. Thanks!

Guineas should not be raised with chicks in the long run. The species are just too different to get along forever. I would only keep the chick in with the keets until it is old enough to be integrated with other chickens.
Thanks! One day at a time right now, and there's peace in my home tonight.

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_231704394.jpg
    PXL_20201001_231704394.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 4
Don't give the chick to mama. She or the older ones will kill it. Give it a stuffed friend and a mirror. A heated ricebah helped with heat and is usually good for a short term, but you can't make it too hot.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. We gave it a beanie babie day one, and a stuffed penguin its own size today too.😭 I will find a mirror right now! Thank you thank you!

Is there any way to get another young chick? Local breeder? Feed store? If not, you could take one of the broody's chicks and put it with your chick, instead of taking the chick to the broody.

I had a similar situation where one chick hatched, but I only had older chicks. I used the "see but don't touch" method to integrate the young chick in. He was much happier when he could see the other chicks next to him, even though he couldn't interact with them. I kept him separated using this method for about two weeks, then let him join the others.

You could try integrating him with the broody, but I think bringing a chick from the broody hen to keep him company would be better. If the older chick got aggressive, you could use the "see but don't touch" method, so your little chick wouldn't feel as lonely.

Is there any way to get another young chick? Local breeder? Feed store? If not, you could take one of the broody's chicks and put it with your chick, instead of taking the chick to the broody.

I had a similar situation where one chick hatched, but I only had older chicks. I used the "see but don't touch" method to integrate the young chick in. He was much happier when he could see the other chicks next to him, even though he couldn't interact with them. I kept him separated using this method for about two weeks, then let him join the others.

You could try integrating him with the broody, but I think bringing a chick from the broody hen to keep him company would be better. If the older chick got aggressive, you could use the "see but don't touch" method, so your little chick wouldn't feel as lonely.

The plan is to definitely get chicks to keep it company if possible. But for now, bringing in a slightly larger baby is a great idea. Thank you!

Update: slept with the chick on me allllll night so the rest of my house could get some sleep. 😴 Called RK first thing, and they said they got some chicks. Go to buy some, and they didn't actually have chicks, just some keets. So we are trying that. One minute it's fine and sweet and cute, and the next not so much and everyone is trying to kill each other. I had to take the mirror out, because that is definitely a source of contention. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm aware of the higher protein and different temperature requirements for guineas, and that the chick will grow faster than them. Overall, things are calmer right now than the constant wailing of last night. I'd love to keep it that way. We are giving the unhatched eggs one more day in the incubator still too. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom