Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I need to get dressed and get my rear moving. I've got to go to Hope's stepdad's and replace a window and install a deadbolt in his front door. He's only 81 but mentally is really starting to slip. Some days he doesn't have the sense that God gave a goose.

Yesterday for some reason he could get his key to work in his front door. Hope's brother lives two door down and his daughter went and opened the door for him. A short time later he locked himself out again and broke a window pane to get in. Since removing the glass still didn't allow access he to a hammer to the window frame, completely destroying it. He got in and decided he needed to work on the door lock. First he completely stripped the screw heads trying to remove the lockset. Next he decided to drill out the keyhole. Needless to say the lockset is no longer functioning as a lock.

He came to me wanting me to repair all of his damage. He said we'd need a new lockset so I bought one and drove out to his house only to discover that the old lockset is a square mortised commercial lockset that is unavailable so rather than remove it I'll just render the inside lock mechanism useless and install the deadbolt.

Replacing the window isn't going to be a piece of cake either. The wood siding is installed tight to the window so I will have to cut it back, remove the old window, install a new one and wood trim to fill the void between the window and the cutback siding.

I don't know how much longer he is going to be able to live alone and I'm not sure what we will have to do to take care of him. Even on his good days he is a cantankerous, hateful old fart. Bless his heart.

I sure hope that I never become a burden on my family. I wonder if I could get the Thistle to use me as a substitute for that Guy Fawkes feller on the day before I lose my marbles?

How's my darlin' daughter this fine evening. Sun is sinking in the west and I'm kicking back for the rest of the evening. Got Hope's stepfather taken care of and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, it was worse.
Got the new window installed, and a deadbolt, but I'm not sure that he is going to be able to remember how to turn the key. I had him open and close the door at least 50 times and when I left wasn't sure he could fully grasp how to turn a key.

Quote:
Don't tell the Highlander that, she already has me one step away from Senile City. With the Andy Rooney comment she will be envisioning me with big bushy eyebrows. but seriously thanks for the compliment and I glad you drop in to Opa's Place.

Todd, I'm getting used to everything I do at his place turning into a bigger project than one could imagine. Nothing about that house was built right. It's a 100 year old cabin that he added onto many years ago. First he and his friends had absolutely no idea on how to do anything and they were always three sheets into the wind when they did it.

Every time I work on it I have to redo something in order to fix what he needed done. Then I have to listen to him grumble and for the icing on the cake it usually winds up costing me money for materials. One winter he had a chimney fire that spread into the roof. The weather was bitterly cold and in order to get it repaired quickly I contacted his insurance company and got the go ahead to affect the repair. I brought in my crew and we had them back in the house in two days. His insurance paid my bill less his $500 dollar deductible and when it was all said and done I had to eat the $500 plus all of my time.

Back
Top Bottom