Opinions on this coop please

Rdonnelly1013

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2018
Hey everyone,

New to this group and to keeping chickens. So new in fact, that we dont even have our chickens yet =). I've read through so much helpful information on here regarding experienced opinions on coops, but am still on the fence about what to do. I have a specific coop we were thinking about buying to start out with and was wondering if anyone would like to share feedback on this specific one, as it seems to me to address most of the specifics needed in a coop. The only thing to note is that we would have both runs attached to one side, and use the other side as a door to let them free-range when we were home. Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

https://houston.craigslist.org/grq/6676362513.html

For $350 it's not a bad price. Although I find that these prefab ones do not stand up to the test of time very well. But we live in NY with harsh winters and rainy spring and fall. So maybe it would be fine for you. I'd say if you are just starting out, $350 is a good spending limit. You could easily drop more, but maybe find you don't like keeping chickens. The only thing is it doesn't look very secure, maybe your could upgrade the latches to something a bit beefier.

Security is questionable, it's very small, and the construction quality looks like the same as most prefab coops. (Poor material, cheap methods) I haven't seem many premade coops I would recommend. To me this is no different. Look through the coop and run pages here. There are much better designs that are simple to build for about the same money, and will provide you with a better longer lasting home for your flock.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew as I was pressing the "Post" button, that I wouldn't get any glowing opinions on a prefab, but I was sure hoping this one might be different because we have a lot of building projects going on and didn't want to add another to the list. Something prefab would be the most ideal right now, but I not at the cost of chicken health or safety. I'll keep combing through the Coop forums and looking for something easy to build that will be safe and functional for a good amount of time.

Thanks again for some direction!

Thanks for the feedback. I knew as I was pressing the "Post" button, that I wouldn't get any glowing opinions on a prefab, but I was sure hoping this one might be different because we have a lot of building projects going on and didn't want to add another to the list. Something prefab would be the most ideal right now, but I not at the cost of chicken health or safety. I'll keep combing through the Coop forums and looking for something easy to build that will be safe and functional for a good amount of time.

Thanks again for some direction!

How many chickens do you plan to keep? I've looked through your Craigslist and it seems you have a few options.......

How about this... only $50!

HERE : https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/chicken-coop/6681623460.html

OR... THIS! For only $250! Says it's not your typical cheaply made coops!

HERE : https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/chicken-coop/6676927690.html

And THIS! Only $60.... and chickens included!

HERE : https://houston.craigslist.org/grd/d/chicken-and-chicken-coop/6667229223.html

Last edited:

I did see that one, but I wasn't sure how/if I could modify it easily enough to have everything the other coop already had. Another main reason (I thought) to look at prefab stuff was because I figured it would be semi-comprehensive and I could make small adjustments as needed instead of overhauls since I'm basically starting from zero in the "what works/what doesn't" dept. But perhaps it not as impossible as I imagine it would be.

Thank you for pointing out that I could reconsider this one though.

I did see that one, but I wasn't sure how/if I could modify it easily enough to have everything the other coop already had. Another main reason (I thought) to look at prefab stuff was because I figured it would be semi-comprehensive and I could make small adjustments as needed instead of overhauls since I'm basically starting from zero in the "what works/what doesn't" dept. But perhaps it not as impossible as I imagine it would be.

Thank you for pointing out that I could reconsider this one though.
I posted more options..... but the one that piques my interest is the $60 one that includes chickens. Even if you can't have anymore chickens, that coops is a pretty nice size and it looks to be pretty roomy too, I would go for that one! :)

Hey everyone,

New to this group and to keeping chickens. So new in fact, that we dont even have our chickens yet =). I've read through so much helpful information on here regarding experienced opinions on coops, but am still on the fence about what to do. I have a specific coop we were thinking about buying to start out with and was wondering if anyone would like to share feedback on this specific one, as it seems to me to address most of the specifics needed in a coop. The only thing to note is that we would have both runs attached to one side, and use the other side as a door to let them free-range when we were home. Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Rdonnellly13,

I was not able to see the craigslist ad because it has expired. But I, like you, have not purchased my chickens yet and am cackling over what coop to buy.

All the prefabricated coops for sale are closed-in boxes the size of dollhouses with chicken runs not more than two feet high. I can't see myself maintaining a coop that size for any length of time.
(1). I am 64. I want to be able to walk into my chicken coop without stooping to do the chores.
(2). The prefab coops are boarded up on all sides and the door slides closed as well. This closed-in construction design does not jive with everything I have read from experts who say that ventilation, fresh air and sunshine are key elements to raising healthy happy chickens.

I don't know enough yet to know what I don't know but I'm thinking to purchase the largest practical prefab coop, the Orpington Lodge Chicken Coop without the chicken run for the chickens to sleep in. I will encase the Orpington Lodge in a 10 foot long, six foot wide and 6 foot eight inch high cage made of lumber stakes covered with hardware cloth to give the chickens plenty of fresh air, sunshine, and exercise space. At the end of the ten foot run on the other side of the Orpington Lodge I will build the chicken coop design featured on the Youtube channel named Becky's Homestead. The coop on Becky's channel is tall enough to stand in with plenty of room for feeding troughs, nesting boxes, supplies storage, and waterers.
But then, if I build the open plan coop from Becky's Homestead, do I really need the closed-in coop for the chickens to sleep in?

Hey everyone,

Run away from it unless you only want 2 chickens.

There are 19 photos in this CL ad.
This being the first, there are a few different coops pictured, all are VERY small.
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 11.28.36 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom