Otherwise healthy rooster not getting enough to eat?

noisegeyser

Songster
Mar 28, 2019
I was hesitant to put this in the emergencies subforum since there's nothing obviously wrong with him, but I'm starting to worry that my rooster isn't getting enough to eat. His comb is still nice and red, he hasn't lost any feathers, he's lively and behaving normally. He just isn't eating nearly as much as any of my hens are. It's now 2 PM (I let them out 7 hours ago) and his crop is still basically flat, while my hens have very obviously been eating. He's done this on and off for awhile now, a few days ago he ate quite a bit and his crop looked like a racquetball but now he's back to eating little. It's weird, and I'm worried about him. I can offer him food from my hand and he'll excitedly take it, but it just seems that he isn't eating much when I'm not there to do that.

I've only had this group of chickens for about four years and I'm inexperienced, so I'm sorry if I'm making a big deal over nothing. My rooster is easily my friendliest bird, I love him a lot and absolutely do not want to lose him. I'm just not very knowledgeable. Like I said, he looks very healthy, he's acting normal and his poop looks normal. Where should I go from here? . In a thread I made a couple weeks ago I was told they'll eat when they're hungry, but like this? I hope he just starts eating normally again on his own, but I don't want to wait for him to start to waste away to get to a vet. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I don't know. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Can you post photos of him please not too close but so may look at full body often a good Rooster will allow hens first can you say where you live climate may be a factor also and age

Can you post photos of him please not too close but so may look at full body often a good Rooster will allow hens first can you say where you live climate may be a factor also and age
Thank you for your reply. I live in western Washington state, the weather has been consistently above 40 degrees for about a month and has actually been pretty warm lately. I got him from a friend of mine after someone threw him over her fence. I can't be sure how old he is, but I'm guessing he was a year or two old at the time and someone had an excess of/didn't want roosters, so tried to ditch him.

Attachments

• rooster4.jpg
    rooster4.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 15
ah heck neighbor nice to meet you did you know we have a great Washington state thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...me-together-washington-peeps.717207/page-4607
Your boy is nice looking and quite healthy more than you may think he is doing well with you I would think he is not very old your guess is pretty good there
I acquired a hen that way about 4 years ago lays eggs daily for me
Thank you for your help. So do you think he should probably be okay? He doesn't show any signs of being sick, and still has a good amount of muscle. I know I try to micromanage my chickens.

how longs have you had him? now I do believe very much so he will be fine
micromanage is good to flock health
I've had him for around 3-4 years now, so like you said he likely isn't very old.
What type of feeder do you have. Recently there was a thread about a rooster not eating enough, and it was determined that due to the size of his comb and wattles and the configuration of the feeder he was physically unable to get at the feed. Try feeding him in an open pan and see what happens.
I have a feeder very much like the attached image but made of metal that I'll put their crumble in, and a smaller open pan I use for treats/fermented scratch. I've seen him eating from both before, but I'll try offering crumble in the pan and see if he eats more of it.

Attachments

• image35.jpg
    image35.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom