Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

Well, I come from both sides of this. When we moved to a semi rural area, I had two foster dogs playing with me outside that saw a squirrel and took off. Before I could find them, the neighbor was saying one killed a chicken. I felt terrible and offered to pay for it. We have AG property but never dreamed people would have chickens on a 3 acre parcel. That dog has been adopted, so no more issues. My personal dogs are poultry friendly.

Now I have ducks out daily in walk in chicken tractors. I surround them with electric netting and have never had a problem. I know the flapping makes most animals go crazy, so I take the responsibility for their lives. I know it's possible to keep them safe. There will always be predators and poultry is simply "The Old Country Buffet" to any predator. I'm not shooting ANY animal for doing what it does naturally, because I didn't protect my poultry. And I'd sue anybody who shot a dog that had simply escaped. I have my dogs penned or with me. If the owner was a chronic offender, I'd simply re-home the dog to a responsible person. There are new laws regarding shooting dogs and animal cruelty is a federal offense now. The days are over for "shoot first and ask questions later" IMHO

It doesn't matter if it's a dog, fox, or bear. Our poultry is always going to feed them, till we stop blaming them, and make a predator proof coop and run. I built our night coop in the barn inside a Ft. Knox predator proofed stall, lined with 1/2" welded wire, with 1/4" welded wire inside that. It was finished when we got a camera with motion sensor for the barn isle.

Every day on this site I see people who refuse to adequately protect their birds complaining that a predator got them. I don't recall ever seeing one person with electric (that actually had the electric ON) say that their coop had been breached. Why does anyone have the right to kill a predator when they haven't adequately protected their flock? Electric wire isn't expensive and chargers can be found used too. Prevention is the best protection, not shooting a person's dog IMHO And being sued is a very real consequence of shooting another neighbor's dog. There have been people KILLED over shooting a neighbor's dog, so this might be the easy way to learn it.

Is it possible to run barbed wire across the top of your fence, and around it where they might dig?

It's really not necessary. The fences are mostly 6' tall or higher, but there is one stretch of 4' fence. Fortunately, the less aggressive dog of the 10 dogs lives on the other side of the 4' section.

Our birds went over a 6' section into a yard with 5 dogs, so again, that was on us. No barbed wire would have helped....

It's really not necessary. The fences are mostly 6' tall or higher, but there is one stretch of 4' fence. Fortunately, the less aggressive dog of the 10 dogs lives on the other side of the 4' section.

Our birds went over a 6' section into a yard with 5 dogs, so again, that was on us. No barbed wire would have helped....
Oh, I was thinking about barbed wire to keep the dogs out. Chickens could get pretty torn up. :( You wouldn't want that.

When I put up a new fence a couple years ago, I paid a guy to staple chicken wire to the fence and dig the bottom of it down into the ground- he apparently stapled the wire, but did not put it in the ground- now I get to fix it- grrr.

I did this and she was mad and pouted all day, but the neighbors are safe.
Glad you got it fixed and she can't get underneath the fence! Its normal for her to be upset with you because you outsmarted her. Good job!

I've got the opposite problem. My neighbors chickens keep crossing the street to come over here. (His rooster was killed by a car a couple days ago) My dogs aren't good with my chickens so I know they wouldn't be good with his. Their barking alone would terrify a chicken and has mine (soon as one flew over the fence the dogs would go after it ).I hope none of his chickens ever come in my yard while the dogs are outside.
WOW!

Hi everyone,
It is with a very heavy heart, that we lost our 6 leghorns to a very aggressive dog. The dog was so aggressive that he literally tore the chicken wire out in order to get to our hens. Our hens didn't stand a chance.
I shot the dog and the owner was so out raged he threatened me and my wife. No concern for my babies.
He will no longer be a menace(the dog). I put him away.
By the way, he was not interested in what his dog did as I tried to show him. He wouldn't even look!
Saluda Chickens, RIP!

I'm not sure how to respond to that, but I'm glad you neutralized the threat. Like others have said, many dog owners are irresponsible. In cases like that, you don't have much choice.

It's a bit surprising that they threatened you and your wife however. Were you still armed at the time??? If so, that takes some large stones to do someone holding a weapon that is clearly willing and able to use it!

Maybe in time they'll come around and apologize for the carnage and heartbreak their dog caused by not being properly fenced in or on a leash. Very sorry for your loss!

Back
Top Bottom