Our Babies Died a Terrible Death

I sympathize. A possum or coon got all but one of my chickens a couple of months ago. I live in town with a 6 ft privacy fence and a pig wire fence around the chicken area. The coop and small run have hardwire cloth with capstones around the perimeter. After one attack by an owl early one morning- right at daylight, I started locking the run door each evening and opening it around 8am. I did not think about the nesting box lid having broken hinges. The varmint moved the lid askew enough to climb in and kill my flock. They could not get out because the door was latched. My fault and it was a painful lesson. Hinges and latches secure now. New flock about ready to go outside- I am nervous. Will put landscape bricks on top of the nesting boxes just in case as well as a padlock latch on the door.

She did seek out the owner of the dog who denied it was his dog so the next time it appeared on her property she shot it with a paintball. Not sure what happened as this was several years ago. I would have eliminated it if the owner is going to let it roam loose. Good luck...

I'd like to know how the conversation about dogs and paintballs went the next time the two had a chance to chat... :)

That goes without saying. In my case, my rooster was in the dog's mouth on its property. I told the owner if I catch them on my property again, I'd kill them. Surprisingly, he understood and agree'd. 😊
My cousin called and said a guy wanted to give me a couple chickens and a coop because a dog had killed most of his flock but I never got them because he was arrested.

Hard to believe you were arrested for shooting a dog that killed your chickens.This story should terrify people who would do the same to defend their chickens .I do hope you are okay! God bless!
In many states you can not shoot a dog unless it is an imminent threat at the time that you shot it. You can shoot if it's in the act of harming your livestock, but not for simply trespassing on your property and not after the deed is done as it's no longer a threat at that time. It's a very fine distinction, so best to keep that in mind when recounting your story to any authorities.

Hard to believe you were arrested for shooting a dog that killed your chickens.This story should terrify people who would do the same to defend their chickens .I do hope you are okay! God bless!

We are well-armed on our property, but have never considered shooting a neighbor's pet, and we have no less than ten (10) dogs immediately around among five other properties. We're in the city limits too, so we're not rural by any stretch.

With that said, my boyfriend has spoken a few times about what he might do if one of these dogs (they're all very aggressive with no obedience training whatsoever) ever came across one of the fences. It's not a pretty picture he paints, but our firearms have never come into the discussion. That could change I suppose in the future.

Last, we've had birds cross a fence going in the other direction at least 3 times. Fortunately, he was able to scale the fence fast enough to rescue at least two of the birds before serious damage was done, but we did lose one. In these cases, it was on us, but eventually one of these dogs WILL come over the fence. I am not looking forward to that day.................

We are well-armed on our property, but have never considered shooting a neighbor's pet, and we have no less than ten (10) dogs immediately around among five other properties. We're in the city limits too, so we're not rural by any stretch.

With that said, my boyfriend has spoken a few times about what he might do if one of these dogs (they're all very aggressive with no obedience training whatsoever) ever came across one of the fences. It's not a pretty picture he paints, but our firearms have never come into the discussion. That could change I suppose in the future.

Last, we've had birds cross a fence going in the other direction at least 3 times. Fortunately, he was able to scale the fence fast enough to rescue at least two of the birds before serious damage was done, but we did lose one. In these cases, it was on us, but eventually one of these dogs WILL come over the fence. I am not looking forward to that day.................
Is it possible to run barbed wire across the top of your fence, and around it where they might dig?

I do not blame you for killing a chicken killer. I have the opposite problem- I own a chicken killer. Penny just dug under my privacy fence and killed two of the neighbors chickens. They were understanding when their chicken flew into our yard and was killed. Not so understanding about my dog digging into their yard to kill their flock. I would not have blamed them if they had shot her, much as I love her. Am gonna put a foot of wire barrier across the ground along the fence line, maybe that will stop her. I put capstones all along one side of the fence, maybe the wire will be a deterent to digging. Haven't got any more capstones or any more ideas.
Use chicken wire and landscape staples to pen it down on the ground around the inside of the fence. It will hurt her feet if she tries to dig a hole. She'll be much harder to keep in now that she's killed the chickens sorry. You might cut some young saplings and lay them down around the fence after cutting limbs off.

Use chicken wire and landscape staples to pen it down on the ground around the inside of the fence. It will hurt her feet if she tries to dig a hole. She'll be much harder to keep in now that she's killed the chickens sorry. You might cut some young saplings and lay them down around the fence after cutting limbs off.
When I put up a new fence a couple years ago, I paid a guy to staple chicken wire to the fence and dig the bottom of it down into the ground- he apparently stapled the wire, but did not put it in the ground- now I get to fix it- grrr.
I did this and she was mad and pouted all day, but the neighbors are safe.

Back
Top Bottom