Our first ducks! Questions :)

TTownChics

Chirping
Mar 22, 2015
We got 4 ducklings today. We have them set up in the brooder.
I have a question about food. I got manapro, it is the only thing the store had. It has 24% protein and not enough niacin. I will get some brewer's yeast and mix it tonight.
What food do you guys buy? And from where?

Also what do think they are? Black ones are cayuga?

I don't know where you live If you have Win-Co or other similar stores. I found nutritional yeast in the grocery store bulk bins to be WAY less expensive than it is in the health food stores. Yes! add this to their feed.
I also add 1-2 tablespoons of RAW Apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to all the birds water. It helps with absorption of nutrition into their bodies and builds good bacteria in their gut, tastes good too.

Purina Flock Raiser is a great food. There are a bunch of members that feed it to their birds. Too much protein can be bad. 24% protein is very high. Ducklings should start at 20% max and gradually (every 2 weeks or so) take them down about 2%. Once fully feathered, about 3 months old, they should be at 16% forever. If you want to go ahead and use what you bought, I'd only do so for 4 weeks max and then go down to 20%. Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of ducks.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! We got the purina and they are growing like weeds! They are enjoying the beautiful weather outside today and gettinf their swim on....supervised of course.

Back
Top Bottom