Our Silkies Dr. Seuss style house (a building thread)

Pics

ScottandSam

Still learning
6 Years
Dec 24, 2016
Shell Knob, Missouri
Well since the 1st hatch of silkies hit 3 weeks old and the 2nd unhatched hit 3 days in a incubator. We found the time to get started on what will be one of the hardest projects I have every tried to build.
I don't know when the idea came about, but we started researching pictures and designs 2-3 months ago on what will be our Dr. Seuss/ rustic silkie coop. I love the bright colors but not on the outside of the coop. It needs to fit in with the other structures around the property to some degree. Of course this is a work in project that can and will change from day to day. The plans are in my head at this point. The only thing I drew on paper was what was completed today. So from this point forward there will be no level, square or plum bob used in this build. (That really is the hardest point for me). I will be using a ruler from time to time to measure what we need to fit the gap we created. I am excited to get back to building I always have fun. We are also on a tight budget on this build . We are looking to buy flooring support, floor, shingles and roof plywood. Then cut all the rest on the mill. Also we will use some left over wood we have from other projects.
Today we set out to get the floor built so we can start cutting the 2x material we need for framing the walls.

So with no delay the pictures
1st the floor framing. Leveled with rocks and dirt filled inside so no holes to get under the coop. Well at least not the chickens. We will add the Hardwire to the run side later.........................................................

the floor framing.jpg

The plywood floor. The floor and 2x6 are ground contact treated. and before any comments come Yes, rest assured the floor will be painted..........................

the plywood on the floor.jpg

Well we wanted to paint the floor today but it was way too windy and lots of leaves falling that we did not want in wet paint . We will wait on that till there is a roof and walls. Then no leaves or chicken feet will get in the wet paint. We decides to prep the run and let the hens start composting it until the runs complete.
1st load of wood chips.........................................................................

1st load of wood chips in run.jpg

And then another load of wood chips....................................................
more wood chips in run.jpg

The hens loved it. They were inspecting everything we did today and gave us a big thumbs up.

Also please let us know if something looks wrong, out of place, or just a easier way. We are always open to suggestion that is how we learn.

Scott

Last edited:
Well Sunday here was cold and rainy. Saturday at work I dropped a set or perco and colbalt master keys in the lake. I took advange of the crappy weather to get some bottom time and got those keys back. Sunday night cleared up and We eyeballed some log to cut Monday morning. Monday I walked out today and saw Flokie nice and comfy.....................................................................
flokie.jpg

So We started cutting...........................................................................................................
cutting.jpg

Then We Assembled the first wall............................................................................................
wall 1a.jpg

Another view........................................................................................................................
wall1c.jpg

And another.........................................................................................................................

wall1e.jpg

Then we began to trim out the window and provide area around the window for siding to attach to.
wall1d.jpg

And another view..................................................................................................................

wall1f.jpg

The wall proved to be more challenging than I though it would be. it seemed like every board that went on the chop saw was another angle. Very few 90 degree cuts. I slowed down after getting this far flipping back on forth with if we should lower this 85" wall. But in the end I just decided maybe to build the other side lower and leave this alone. lol At least for now. I got some ideas for taking advantage of the headspace that will be created to get the pitch we are after in this structure. Well time to cut some more 4x4 and 2x4 for the sister wall.

Scott

Attachments

• wall1b.jpg
    wall1b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
This is going to be AWESOME!
I just love Flokie.

Flokie and Molley had been up all night barking and chasing coyotes. He wouldn't move off the platform until I started moving around the 2x4 and 4x4's. Molley was on the porch.

Yep I am real excited about this coop. I have built it and changes it over and over in my head the last few night. I ran some stuff by Samantha on what we could do up the headroom in this coop. We are thinking about storage, nesting boxes for broody hens, doubling our sq ft for birds, and brooders. Lots to figure out in time.

Scott

Well last weekend I didn't get much time to work on the coop. But I made the best of what I got. We had decoded earlier in the week that the window just didn't do what we were after. . So first we shortened the wall from 8' to 7'. That will help play into the look we want with a 20' peak.
Next we took out all the 2x4 window trim. The we cut new 2x6 trim and headed to the table saw.
So to start with before pics...................
20171102_224312.jpg

Now we don't have the outside of the window trimmed yet but we 're worked the grid inside the window. And wow. That just what we in visioned...............
20171030_162027.jpg

And one of the shortened wall. Opening at bottom will be external nesting boxes......................................................
20171030_162013.jpg

Scott

Back
Top Bottom