Our Silkies Dr. Seuss style house (a building thread)

Baited breath I await.

Well garlic breath, but I guess it's good for baiting something.

Tell me about your saw mill. Brand? Chainsaw mill?

Maybe I overlooked it, but pine logs? What kind?

Beautiful and fun project!

The mill is a Norwood Lm29 band saw. It cuts @ 29" diameter logs 16/9" long for now. We have the 13hp Honda motor on it. Start by 2 pull ever time and we love it.

The logs we are using are Cedar source locally. We chose these cause we work with cedar all the time here. The sap wood is a lot like pine but the heart wood is decay resistant. Same stuff people make cedar chest and closet liners from. The locals burn it when clearing land usually. We want it to weather some before we seal it. to try for the look were want. the first wall should start graying some pretty soon. the interior we will power wash and let it dry then clear it so it red and cream colored. We thinking ship lap live edge siding and maybe some reverse board and baton w/live edges, at least at this point.

Scott
Here are a few projects of ours with Cedar...............................................
FB_IMG_1495720110105.jpg

FB_IMG_1509938216270.jpg

Pic when. Our house was under construction.
FB_IMG_1509937566302.jpg

FB_IMG_1509937554089.jpg

And another fun one................................
FB_IMG_1509938386824.jpg

Last edited:
The mill is a Norwood Lm29 band saw. It cuts @ 29" diameter logs 16/9" long for now. We have the 13hp Honda motor on it. Start by 2 pull ever time and we love it.

The logs we are using are Cedar source locally. We chose these cause we work with cedar all the time here. The sap wood is a lot like pine but the heart wood is decay resistant. Same stuff people make cedar chest and closet liners from. The locals burn it when clearing land usually. We want it to weather some before we seal it. to try for the look were want. the first wall should start graying some pretty soon. the interior we will power wash and let it dry then clear it so it red and cream colored. We thinking ship lap live edge siding and maybe some reverse board and baton w/live edges, at least at this point.

Scott
Here are a few projects of ours with Cedar...............................................
View attachment 1179985
View attachment 1179986
View attachment 1179987
View attachment 1179988
View attachment 1179989
Holy smoked salmon, that's some mighty fine work of yours!! I love all of it. So beautiful and charming.

I'd like to recommend a non-toxic sealer: Hemp Shield. A bit pricier but SO worth it. We're using it on absolutely everything: the redwood deck, the cedar siding, the chicken coop. I bought the chestnut stain for those projects and clear for other projects. Shipping is free if you order two or more gallons.

Scott
View attachment 1179985
View attachment 1179986
View attachment 1179987
View attachment 1179988
View attachment 1179989
Wow

Holy smoked salmon, that's some mighty fine work of yours!! I love all of it. So beautiful and charming.

I'd like to recommend a non-toxic sealer: Hemp Shield. A bit pricier but SO worth it. We're using it on absolutely everything: the redwood deck, the cedar siding, the chicken coop. I bought the chestnut stain for those projects and clear for other projects. Shipping is free if you order two or more gallons.

Well heck they make everything from hemp. I'll defiantly check into it. We use sicken on the outside of our other coop and oil based paint inside. It's to hard to flake inside and girls have better things to peck at free ranging the the outside of the coop.
Of course this coop will have a run and they will be in it or the coop.
Thanks Scott

How your chicks doing?
They are doing great, thanks for asking. I haven't been on the boards in ages. I just cannot get used to the new set up. Old dog...new tricks and all that.
Looks like you're really motoring along on your chicken adventure. Your new project will have me checking in all that time now. You both are so talented I can't wait to watch this project. As you know I had a hard enough time with straight lines and simple cuts :oops: But the coop has been great and is holding up and functioning well.

Down to 6 fat, healthy and happy hens. Most of which are freeloaders right now, short days less egg production but its all good.
Keep up the good work..Ill be watching:caf

Back
Top Bottom