Sakiza

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
Upstate NY
Hello!

First time poster. But I have been reading BYC for a while.

My family and I have a small hobby farm with a variety of birds. The next big project is an aviary for our peafowl (one male, four female) and pheasants (one male, one female). We live in upstate New York and we get a lot of snow in the winter. Currently, the peafowl and pheasants are in the barn till it is nice out again (I can't wait for some sunny weather!).

We have an area just about finished for their aviary. There are several pine trees; limbs cleaned up, lots of grass, mostly flat but some elevation in certain areas, and even a little natural spring in the corner of the area.

I wanted to see how other members have set this up. What kind of netting do you use? Do you leave it up all year? Do you use different netting for the sides and the top? How do you plan for winter with peafowl and pheasants who are outside during the rest of the year?

Anything else you can think of I would love and appreciate it if you let me know!

*Note. Our peacock is about 50% blind (that's my boy in the picture). Would vision problems in a peacock change the way you would do anything?

I don't have Peafowl, but do have Ideas and suggestions and concerns.
Concern; Does your aviary need to be Super Predator Proof, or just enough to keep your birds in during day??? Big difference in how you construct, and materials used. Also not sure what size you have in mind?
Consider this.
Light duty large volume: I would get a large Swimming pool leaf cover. (netting). Stretch it out fastened to the trees you have. I would opt for 6 foot height. Get 6 foot tall 2 x 4 welded wire garden fencing. Install at the perimeter where pool netting extends to. The garden netting is stiff/firm enough to free stand. You would need some T posts every so distance. Fashion a nice entry gate and you are all set. :)
WISHING YOU BEST..... and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom