Over Easy, sunny side up..

Unicornlife3316

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2018
Bryan, TX
Y’all... I know this is SO dumb, but I need y’all to placate me.

We eat sunny side up, over easy, runny eggs from the grocery store.. which are chicken eggs as well.. and probably from much less happier chickens than I have..

But.. I can’t bring myself to eat my FRESH eggs runny! How ridiculous, right?

Somebody tell me I’m being crazy and they’re totally safe to eat :)

Or tell me, it’s good practice not to eat fully cooked eggs :)

Whatever you prefer

We eat sunny side up, over easy, runny eggs from the grocery store.. which are chicken eggs as well.. and probably from much less happier chickens than I have..

Whatever you prefer
I understand! When I first started with my Nankins, I couldn't their my eggs AT ALL! Nannies are so endangered that it felt almost sacrilegious to eat them. To me, it felt akin to eating Bald Eagle eggs! That feeling faded a lot once I became overrun with eggs. I couldn't incubate all of them - no more coop space and off-season - so I had to do SOMETHING with them. Eating them is better than throwing them away, spoiled! Like the conservationists always tell us, they ARE livestock, so sometimes you gotta eat 'em to save 'em! But sunny-side up with fertile eggs, nuh-uh. I know they taste just as good, but I just can't get past the "guilt" of eating that little bulls-eye!
:idunno

If the eggs from the store are totally safe then your birds eggs are totally safe.:rolleyes:

That’s what my logical side says, I KNOW this. It’s just, there’s something that stops me.
I'm sure they are safer than store bought eggs. They are fresher for certain. However, I cannot eat over easy eggs anymore since they come from my chickens. There is no explaining this. I just can't eat it. Until I had my own chickens that was the only way I ate eggs. :confused:

This is how I feel! I can’t explain it!

I understand! When I first started with my Nankins, I couldn't their my eggs AT ALL! Nannies are so endangered that it felt almost sacrilegious to eat them. To me, it felt akin to eating Bald Eagle eggs! That feeling faded a lot once I became overrun with eggs. I couldn't incubate all of them - no more coop space and off-season - so I had to do SOMETHING with them. Eating them is better than throwing them away, spoiled! Like the conservationists always tell us, they ARE livestock, so sometimes you gotta eat 'em to save 'em! But sunny-side up with fertile eggs, nuh-uh. I know they taste just as good, but I just can't get past the "guilt" of eating that little bulls-eye!
:idunno

I don’t have a rooster, so not even a chance of fertile eggs - that’s why I don’t eat my guinea eggs, because they’re possibly fertile and could be little babies one day. LOL

Whatever you prefer
I don't think you're crazy! I had the same problem at first, felt like I was eating my grandchildren...whacko, right?
I wouldn't eat fully cooked eggs no matter where they came from. Kinda grosses me out. I know some people love them that way, but uh, no thanks.
I'm sure your eggs are fine to be consumed runny so long as your girls are healthy and they are stored properly prior to consumption.

I just got my first egg last week, and a second hen started laying small eggs a few days ago. At about $100 per egg for cost so far, I eat the most expensive breakfast in town! Yum, yum no matter how they are cooked.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one trying to cross this mental obstacle! I've always preferred eggs over medium...runny yolk but not runny white. But with my own chickens, that I know are healthy and the eggs are collected almost immediately and stored...I can't do it :confused:so far, only scrambled for me!

I just got my first egg last week, and a second hen started laying small eggs a few days ago. At about $100 per egg for cost so far, I eat the most expensive breakfast in town! Yum, yum no matter how they are cooked.
LOL! Yep, the most expensive eggs around! To turn a profit, you'd have to have a lot of chickens and give them the cheapest feed...like the factory facilities...
But knowing your chickens are cared for and not neglected/abused....that eases my conscience.

Back
Top Bottom