Parakeet or Lovebirds?

Parakeets or Lovebirds

• Total voters
Oh my goodness, He is adorable. I never thought about cocktails, I saw one for adoption and thought they were really cute! Are they good starter birds? I have poultry, but never a bird (if that makes sense). My mother has found out that she really wants a bird. I will have to do some research!
I’m not sure if they are good starter birds to be honest. My friend gave me an egg and I was like hey let’s try it lol. It amazed me how nice he turned out. The only hard part was feeding him every 2 hours at first. 😣😣😣

I got two cockatiels about 18 years ago. Princeton and Shasta. Princeton died about two years ago and Shasta is still going strong. They are amazing companions but be prepared for a LONG life together. I got my pair from a woman who was giving them up, and she had them for three years before I got them! So Princeton was around 18 when he died and Shasta is 21 or so!

I think they would be a good bird for you. I was 13 when I got mine and although I wouldn’t say they are easy to care for they are fun to have!

Parakeets and love birds will live 5-7 years, and will need some sort of companionship (either human or avian) throughout their lives. They will need to be indoors, as would any bird you want to interact with and have as a real pet. They will fly onto your head, shoulder, newspaper, glasses, lampshades, table for breakfast (and lunch and dinner), and anywhere else you are. Our birds, even the unfriendly ones, always came to eat with us! As a child, I used to race my bird down the hallway and back (he always won). Bear in mind that all of them will chew whatever they can, paper being a favorite.

Although love birds are often though of as being paired, we had a single, lovely male who made a friendly pet. Our parakeets were also single males.

I
I’m not sure if they are good starter birds to be honest. My friend gave me an egg and I was like hey let’s try it lol. It amazed me how nice he turned out. The only hard part was feeding him every 2 hours at first. 😣😣😣
If I were to adopt a fully feathered one (after doing research) would you recommend them? I am a person who likes to play with and snuggle my pets. From what I have read they seem pretty friendly?

I

If I were to adopt a fully feathered one (after doing research) would you recommend them? I am a person who likes to play with and snuggle my pets. From what I have read they seem pretty friendly?
If they are socialized they are amazingly friendly and snuggly. Mine would preen my hair. They loved going in the shower with me (I would dry them after with a hair dryer set in low/cool), they had a play center to get out of their cage. They would sit at the table on their play center while I ate. They would sit on my shoulders or lap. Good little birds!!

If they are socialized they are amazingly friendly and snuggly. Mine would preen my hair. They loved going in the shower with me (I would dry them after with a hair dryer set in low/cool), they had a play center to get out of their cage. They would sit at the table on their play center while I ate. They would sit on my shoulders or lap. Good little birds!!
Have you had any problems with them chewing on your furniture/items in your house? Is there any cons to them (I don't mean to be a Debbie down-er)

I

I have heard that if they have been hand raised and you get them after they are weaned they become very tame/snuggly

I have been thinking about a bird, I have been doing research. I have some poultry. What's better in your opinion?
I've seen budgies/parakeets and they are so cute, they even make cute talking sounds.
Their more social than lovebirds and have better personalities, that's my and my grandmother's opinion.

Back
Top Bottom