paralized suddenly

twandx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009

Twandx GenderGappers
One of my Black Stars has what appears to be leg paralysis; she does not walk normally but by using her wings can get to food and water and seems quite normal aside from inability to walk. I have her in the house where she is eating and drinking fine - just seems to be a locomotion problem - has anyone any ideas or suggestions to offer me? Thanks.

[COLOR=0066CC]Twandx GenderGappers[/COLOR]
One of my Black Stars has what appears to be leg paralysis; she does not walk normally but by using her wings can get to food and water and seems quite normal aside from inability to walk. I have her in the house where she is eating and drinking fine - just seems to be a locomotion problem - has anyone any ideas or suggestions to offer me? Thanks.
If i were you i would look up Mareks disease. Check for any injury's. Can you post a picture??

Yes, check up on Mareks. It is hitting me later this year but not so many affected. Only one, possibly two and the ability to walk has not been lost, yet. Based on prior efforts, long-term outlook for such affected birds is not good even when ability to walk is restored. If free-ranged, such "restored" birds are first to be picked off by predators.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds as if it might me Merek's except that she is eating well now for two days and seems real perky. Will watch and evaluate.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds as if it might me Merek's except that she is eating well now for two days and seems real perky. Will watch and evaluate.
I have one with Marek's and he eats just fine. I'll be surprised if he lasts another month. FWIW, the pathologist that I work with said that Marek's is one of the top causes of death in the chickens that they see in their lab. He also said that it affects chickens of *all* ages*, not just the young ones.

Back
Top Bottom