Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

I also love partridge!

I’m a new chicken lady.

igave a partridge Silkie from straight run that is about 3 months old.
Crossing my fingers that Marble is female!

This one is my most timid of the flock and is the last one anywhere.

Attachments

• EC9D423A-581D-40AA-ABD9-ECF517DB0476.jpeg
    EC9D423A-581D-40AA-ABD9-ECF517DB0476.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 5
I also love partridge!

I’m a new chicken lady.

igave a partridge Silkie from straight run that is about 3 months old.
Crossing my fingers that Marble is female!

This one is my most timid of the flock and is the last one anywhere.

From what I can see she looks female if she’s 3 months old! 🙂 Non bearded males would usually always have bigger wattles showing by that age (at least in British type). USA type tend to take longer to mature.

I’ve never personally worked with Silver Partridge though! 😅

Thanks a lot. I love the partridge and they don't seem to get the recognition that they deserve. I know partridge is 1 of those varieties that seems open to the interpretation of the judge at the shows and the people that breed them. That's why I would like to see pictures of other partridge Silkies. It would be great to see some that have done well at shows.

I absolutely love the partridge colouring on our 2 silkies, in the foreground is Thor, and behind is Tinkerbelle aka Princess :) I'm so happy we got Partridge, their colours are stunning.

IMG_5829.JPG

A bunch of itchy scratchy molting birds! Feathers everywhere during this heatwave

FRONT - Dominique. MIDDLE - Partridge Silkie. REAR - Cuckoo Breda
DSCN8055.JPG
DSCN8056.JPG
DSCN8057.JPG

I lost a Dominique a couple weeks ago to heatstroke -- her body never stopped laying eggs and that's not a good thing during molt and a heatwave! I hate losing hens to reproductive issues!

Currently I'm searching to find a local breeder to get an older Silkie hen as a companion for my 9-yr-old Partridge Silkie who lost her Black Silkie toodling companion 3 yrs ago to cancer just before Newcastles and Covid struck our USA scene -- so I'm just now getting around to safely adding another bird to the yard. Hope I can find someone who has an older Silkie beyond laying age -- my little Partridge has cycled through our 18 standard-sized hens in her 9 yrs but she was most comfortable to be w/ her smaller-size Silkie companion -- they weren't bosom buddies but they hung out together away from the bigger breeds.
DSCN6487.JPG
DSCN6488.JPG

DSCN6058.JPG
DSCN7442.JPG
DSCN7443.JPG

Silkies have the funniest bad hair days!

End of breeding season plus I didn't have luck finding anyone with an old Silkie female to be a companion to my 9-yr old Partridge female. One of my local feed stores had a couple half-grown young Silkies (one was Black and one was White) but I didn't want to deal w/ those colors. Black turns rusty red in our brutal SoCalif summer sun and White turns dingy yellow to dirty brown foraging in our chicken yard and garden beds. The feed stores have plenty of incoming baby chicks from hatcheries but I didn't want to deal with brand new babies, kiddie pools, heat lamps, etc.

So I finally contacted Amber Waves Silkies in Norco and bought a DNA-sexed Partridge female a little over a month old. She's a little bitty thing but already on solid foods like chick crumble, midget millet seeds, Amaranth seeds, grapes, cukes, produce treats and the little rascal already chased, caught & gulped down two large crickets on our kitchen floor! She follows me around the house because she is a lone chick w/ no other chick companions so this little bitty is going to be spoiled before she grows up to join the outdoor girls. It'll be interesting and possibly a challenge to get her and my old Partridge acquainted enough eventually before I release them together with the bigger standard hens.

Some pics
DSCN8198.JPG
DSCN8199.JPG
DSCN8223.JPG

ZZZZZZ - somebody fell asleep during Netflix!
DSCN8229.JPG

Look at the enormous feathered foot tucked under her! Her feet look like giant boots under her!
DSCN8232.JPG

Back
Top Bottom