Pasture pen

I am also thinking of building one of these soon. I was thinking of using the guide in the video listed below but instead of chicken wire using some Hardware cloth. I have read that chicken wire is not too good for Quail and it does not keep the baddies out very well. I have not made up my mind yet if we will put anything on the bottom of the tractor.

Easy Cheap Poultry tractor guide below.

If you have hawks they will snatch your quail from open top pens, also the quail will fly out and never come back. I’ve seen people just put netting over the top of an open top pen, but everything eats quails and it’s uncommon to find premade pens with small enough mesh so predators can’t reach thru and grab a pawful.

the heavy duty netting 1” works well for covering quail aviaries or tractors. mine has been in place since last fall and has worked well to deter hawks and other predators but mine is a fixed aviary that is also electrified.

I am also thinking of building one of these soon. I was thinking of using the guide in the video listed below but instead of chicken wire using some Hardware cloth. I have read that chicken wire is not too good for Quail and it does not keep the baddies out very well. I have not made up my mind yet if we will put anything on the bottom of the tractor.

Easy Cheap Poultry tractor guide below.

I like this a lot, but pvc and hardware cloth adds up fast. If you tractor quail, I think you need to put some kind of wire on the bottom so they don’t get run over when you move it, or try to go under and get squashed.

I do prefer the fixed site with bedding or sand, or tractor style because I like when my birds have access to the ground, so finding a way to make something like that work would probably be comfortable for them. But for you and egg collection it’ll be awkward, unless you have some short kids to send in to get the eggs. Quail lay wherever they were standing when the egg mood hit, so you can bet they will always be in the furthest areas to reach.

Back
Top Bottom