Pasty butt, tiny, uncoordinated

Cklass90

Chirping
Mar 16, 2018
So I got my 16 chicks in the mail this morning. They're all super healthy, moving around and eating etc except one. This one (I dunno if it's a boy or a girl) was very lethargic and so much smaller than the others and then I noticed pasty butt. I cleaned it off with warm olive oil and water and put it back in the bruder. But it's legs are kinda splayed out and it's very sleepy and buffeted if one of the others bumps into it. It's really sad. I've checked the butt (pictured) possibly prolapsed? Anyway is it at all likely to survive? They were shipped Tuesday afternoon so I'm thinking it had pasty butt a maximum of 24 hours before I cleaned it Thursday morning since they don't get it right away or do they? Anything else I can do? Also how do you tell male or female?

Attachments

• IMG_20180503_123902.jpg
    IMG_20180503_123902.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180503_094257.jpg
    IMG_20180503_094257.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 20
Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench vitamins or SaveAChick electrolytes? If not mix a 1/2 teaspoonful of sugar into a cup of warm water. Dip it’s beak over and over for a second to get some fluids into it. What is your heat setting? Polish chicks are not easily sexed until they are older.

The vent may have a small prolapse. I would make sure the vent is open. Put some honey or cortizone cream on the prolapse to try and get some swelling down. Try to push it back inside.

Get some vet wrap and cut small strips. Place the legs 1 1/4 inch apart and wrap them, but don’t get them too tight. The leg hobble will need to be on for 4-5 days, but you can remove it and put a new one on every day.

Thank you everyone so much! I think maybe it doesn't have splayed leg maybe it was spread out to find balance. Looked up splayed leg and they weren't nearly as bad as photos online. Seems slightly stronger and ate a bit I'm taking that as a Good sign. Does anyone know if white crested polish chicks are generally small? This one is honestly half the size of the other chicks

I have some 'preparation H' would that help? The vent is still sticking out and I tried to poke it back in but it's really not the easiest thing to do on a squirming little chick and I don't want to stress it any more. Also it's gunky from the oil I put on its entire back half in an effort to erase the pasty butt. Can I give it a sort of paddle bath tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom