Peahen in tree for 2 days

Pics

Fuzzybird1

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2013
One of our peahens has been up in a tree for 2 days. She has not come down to eat or drink and the temps have gone down to single digits at night. Normally she roosts in the barn every night with the others and during the day when it is cold. We tried everything we could to get her down. We were finally able to poke her with an 18 ft pole while standing on a ladder. She simply flew even higher to another tree. I am worried she will get dehydrated and die. This is her 3rd winter here so she is use to the snow. I am going out to push some snow away to expose some grass hoping it might help. She is so high up now there is no reaching her. What else can I do? She sees the barn, knows where she is and has called back and forth to her flockmates. What else can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_E1125.JPG
    IMG_E1125.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 3
We're on day 4. This morning she flew quite a ways to a tree in the pasture. She didn't stay there long. About 10 minutes later she was gone. Then I heard her yelling at the garbage men! I found her high in a pine on the edge of our property behind our house! I can even see her from the window. So far she has spent most of the day there! I think she is waiting for the snow to melt! That could take some time. The first picture is the pasture tree, the second is a pine in our back yard where I'm assuming she'll stay all night. She obviously has developed a preference for pines. She did call back and forth to the flock earlier today. The saga continues!

Attachments

• IMG_E1061.JPG
    IMG_E1061.JPG
    948.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_E1098.JPG
    IMG_E1098.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 3
Any update? I'm hoping for good news.
On Friday it was 7 days. At 2:00 she was still in the tree, looking restless. At 3:00 she had disappeared. I don't know where she is now. Probably up in a tree somewhere if she is still alive. The ground is still snow covered. I still hold out some hope that she will find her way home when the snow melts. Thanks for asking.

Wow, she’s quite the high flier! Did she ever come down?
It's a full week this afternoon! She moved to a tree in our backyard a couple days ago and is still there! I can't believe she hasn't come down and that she is still alive! I am so confused by this behavior! How much longer can she survive this way?

Back
Top Bottom