Pecked egg on the pointy end- almost every time!!!

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I have a breeding quad of Marans. I can tell this is my hen Cyclucks' egg. Almost every single time she lays, the end is pecked like this.
QUESTION- do you think she is doing it? Another hen? OR is it falling out of her and cracking. They do not like bedding in their nest box and always pullout the hay.

Please help its really annoying since its hatching season.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.JPG
    RenderedImage.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 17
Can you post a picture of the eggs?

you may also want provide them with some more calcium in their diets if they don’t have free access to oyster shell and other calcium supplements.

I have a breeding quad of Marans. I can tell this is my hen Cyclucks' egg. Almost every single time she lays, the end is pecked like this.
QUESTION- do you think she is doing it? Another hen? OR is it falling out of her and cracking. They do not like bedding in their nest box and always pullout the hay.

Please help its really annoying since its hatching season.
Ohhhh. I want to know this too. One of my chickens eggs always is pecked on one end... hope they aren’t egg eating

I don't think that's from pecking. Either it hit the bottom of the next box or another egg. Do any of your girls lay almost standing up? I have a couple that stand on the lip across the front of the box. The eggs drop almost 6 inches when they are laid. This has caused some cracked ends. You could try softer/deeper bedding, or astroturf if they don't like bedding.​

Can you post a picture of the eggs?

you may also want provide them with some more calcium in their diets if they don’t have free access to oyster shell and other calcium supplements.
there is a photo attached already. they have free choice oyster shell, and her shells are sufficiently hard.

I don't think that's from pecking. Either it hit the bottom of the next box or another egg. Do any of your girls lay almost standing up? I have a couple that stand on the lip across the front of the box. The eggs drop almost 6 inches when they are laid. This has caused some cracked ends. You could try softer/deeper bedding, or astroturf if they don't like bedding.​
Me neither... its always on the same spot so I think its dropping.
(chickens wouldn't peck on the same spot all the time- plus only this egg ever has it, not the others.

I will try a piece of carpet or astro turf. Or maybe let them lay on the ground in their and just remove the nest box.

It's cracked pretty far out. I'd be inclined to say it's breaking when it comes out, but hard to tell. Have you thought about trying nesting pads instead? I suppose you've tried changing the material before. How high is the lip on the box?
the box is 16 inches off the ground, there is a perch in front and a 3 inch lip. The box is 11 x 11 so may be too tight when there is bedding.

Back
Top Bottom