Good luck!! Hopefully they all hatch... all hens of course!! :D
I sure don’t count on that many pullets. 🤣. I need to sell 8 or 9 if such a wonder happens.

I bought this many eggs because of earlier experiences with bought eggs.
First try (Naine de Tournaisis) 12 eggs, 3 chicks (2 girls). Maybe the eggs were too long in a warm car?
Second try (Rhode island red bantams) 10 eggs, 3 chicks (2 girls). There was a lot of fuss with 2 competing broodies sitting next to each other. One nest was abandoned so they could sit together.

The 2 times I had broodies with my own eggs, having a rooster, I had more chicks.
First try: 12 eggs, 6 chicks (3 girls). 5 eggs were a bit older and not kept as advised.
Second try: 7 eggs, 5 chicks (only 1 girl).

So my guts/chance experience/ told me I should buy more than 7 eggs to be sure to get 2 females for keep.

Easter Bunny GIF

For all who celebrate (belated) easter.

Woow this thread I started is still going! Life has taken over the last few years and we´ve been running on just a few leftover hens / roos. All excited when our last hen sat on 14 eggs, 9 of which were hens. They had all just started laying when we had a weasel get in and wipe all but one hen out last week :hit. It managed to pull out the hardwire cloth on one corner the first time. We then spent ages making sure all was secured prperly, rescrewed etc. 3 nights later the damn thing broke through the hardcloth wire, so devestating! We rushed out and bought 2 new hens, a sussex and an Azur, after moving into a different, more secured coop so we now have a little flock of 3 hens, just as we did way back in 2016! We also quickly built an incubator and popped in the 11 eggs we had. After candeling yesterday, day 7 I´m not convinced we´ll have any as the eggs are all so small and one double yolker, very hard to see with our easter egger coloured eggs! I´m going to leave it until day 14 and try again. Plans afoot fr a new, very secure coop!

Woow this thread I started is still going! Life has taken over the last few years and we´ve been running on just a few leftover hens / roos. All excited when our last hen sat on 14 eggs, 9 of which were hens. They had all just started laying when we had a weasel get in and wipe all but one hen out last week :hit. It managed to pull out the hardwire cloth on one corner the first time. We then spent ages making sure all was secured prperly, rescrewed etc. 3 nights later the damn thing broke through the hardcloth wire, so devestating! We rushed out and bought 2 new hens, a sussex and an Azur, after moving into a different, more secured coop so we now have a little flock of 3 hens, just as we did way back in 2016! We also quickly built an incubator and popped in the 11 eggs we had. After candeling yesterday, day 7 I´m not convinced we´ll have any as the eggs are all so small and one double yolker, very hard to see with our easter egger coloured eggs! I´m going to leave it until day 14 and try again. Plans afoot fr a new, very secure coop!
Hi PouleChick, great to see you back in Peeps. Only the reason why is really sad. Sorry to hear about all your losses.
:hugs

sorry to hear that but welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom