Good luck!! Hopefully they all hatch... all hens of course!! :D
I sure donā€™t count on that many pullets. šŸ¤£. I need to sell 8 or 9 if such a wonder happens.

I bought this many eggs because of earlier experiences with bought eggs.
First try (Naine de Tournaisis) 12 eggs, 3 chicks (2 girls). Maybe the eggs were too long in a warm car?
Second try (Rhode island red bantams) 10 eggs, 3 chicks (2 girls). There was a lot of fuss with 2 competing broodies sitting next to each other. One nest was abandoned so they could sit together.

The 2 times I had broodies with my own eggs, having a rooster, I had more chicks.
First try: 12 eggs, 6 chicks (3 girls). 5 eggs were a bit older and not kept as advised.
Second try: 7 eggs, 5 chicks (only 1 girl).

So my guts/chance experience/ told me I should buy more than 7 eggs to be sure to get 2 females for keep.

Easter Bunny GIF

For all who celebrate (belated) easter.

Woow this thread I started is still going! Life has taken over the last few years and weĀ“ve been running on just a few leftover hens / roos. All excited when our last hen sat on 14 eggs, 9 of which were hens. They had all just started laying when we had a weasel get in and wipe all but one hen out last week :hit. It managed to pull out the hardwire cloth on one corner the first time. We then spent ages making sure all was secured prperly, rescrewed etc. 3 nights later the damn thing broke through the hardcloth wire, so devestating! We rushed out and bought 2 new hens, a sussex and an Azur, after moving into a different, more secured coop so we now have a little flock of 3 hens, just as we did way back in 2016! We also quickly built an incubator and popped in the 11 eggs we had. After candeling yesterday, day 7 IĀ“m not convinced weĀ“ll have any as the eggs are all so small and one double yolker, very hard to see with our easter egger coloured eggs! IĀ“m going to leave it until day 14 and try again. Plans afoot fr a new, very secure coop!

Woow this thread I started is still going! Life has taken over the last few years and weĀ“ve been running on just a few leftover hens / roos. All excited when our last hen sat on 14 eggs, 9 of which were hens. They had all just started laying when we had a weasel get in and wipe all but one hen out last week :hit. It managed to pull out the hardwire cloth on one corner the first time. We then spent ages making sure all was secured prperly, rescrewed etc. 3 nights later the damn thing broke through the hardcloth wire, so devestating! We rushed out and bought 2 new hens, a sussex and an Azur, after moving into a different, more secured coop so we now have a little flock of 3 hens, just as we did way back in 2016! We also quickly built an incubator and popped in the 11 eggs we had. After candeling yesterday, day 7 IĀ“m not convinced weĀ“ll have any as the eggs are all so small and one double yolker, very hard to see with our easter egger coloured eggs! IĀ“m going to leave it until day 14 and try again. Plans afoot fr a new, very secure coop!
Hi PouleChick, great to see you back in Peeps. Only the reason why is really sad. Sorry to hear about all your losses.
:hugs

sorry to hear that but welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom