So the chickens got a new tarp over their run. My old girl, who is prone to stay in the run to steer clear of the roosters, watched me work. She seemed to like the lighter colour, I got white this time, the old one had holes and didn't fit as well as this one. It was a silver grey.

My large cone arrived and the medium wasn't with it, so i'm fighting with the seller, who's email doesn't work, over amazon. Want's pictures for proof, but couldn't send any, because his email on his seller account , comes back as non existent, so asked for a proper email to send them and no answer...
That sucks!! I hope they'll get it straightend out... but honestly pictures for what? It wouldn't be very hard to say I didn't get and just take a picture of the one cone. That is silly.
I ordered mine thru Siepmann I believe... but I am planing on getting a smaller one as well. If I am going to butcher smaller roosters in spring, the large cone is not going to work well.

Good luck with the seller! :fl

Yup it sucks, he also wanted a picture of the DHL parcel sticker...I think it's ridiculous. Bet he knows his email doesn't work too. The size L is good only for the roosters, the cockerels, will slip through.

Attachments

• 20200911_205516.jpg
    20200911_205516.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 3
Ok, I hope it is sorted with the seller now, as I really do want the 'M cone I ordered from him. He has finally agreed to send it, the one I already bought but didn't get. It has been bothersome, because I wanted to mount the plates today to hold them on the wall, but don't really know what space I should leave between them now.

Ok, I hope it is sorted with the seller now, as I really do want the 'M cone I ordered from him. He has finally agreed to send it, the one I already bought but didn't get. It has been bothersome, because I wanted to mount the plates today to hold them on the wall, but don't really know what space I should leave between them now.
I'm happy for you! Hopefully no more issues with this guy!!
You really don't need a lot of space... I think about a foot (or more) is plenty. The birds kinda fall into the cone .

there is a powder called PUBEX PLUS, I think made by bayern. it is plant based and it worked for me.
@Waves Do be sure the poison is harmless for chickens. They can really get sick from poison for dogs and cars. And it’s not good for you’re own health to eat eggs or meat from chickens that have been poisoned.

thank you so much to all gave me suggestions!!!!!
i'll let you know ;) ;)

The M Cone came today!! 🎉🎉 So I will mount them both on the wall tomorrow. I am planning to start butchering on Saturday, all by my lonesome...but thats nothing new around here.
I am happy for you!!! :thumbsup

You'll be surprised how easy it is all by yourself with a cone. Have you seen this?

I just had to cull another hen this morning. She was a beauty!! Would have gone into my breeding group for sure. But... the loved picking feathers. Not because she wanted to eat them. No she spit them out... I moved her to the "sell group" thinking the little rooster in there and the gras might keep her busy. Nope... she got into let's pick feathers off the rooster because they are so pretty! Then I thought move them to the older hens... they will teach her a lesson or two. Nope! I put her in a cage to keep seperate, she stopped eating. So when I added the new and older rooster to the group I thought HE will teach her..... well no. 10 or 15 minutes after he was in the run she was at him. She really has gotten a liking to roosters... nice feathers.. they move so much more!! After discussing this with a couple of breeders they told me to cull her. She would be "teaching" this behavior to the others...and you don't want to breed a bad behavior either. So after fighting with myself... I decited to cull her. :hit

Love the video, so thanks. Some behaviours are just not worth putting up with. I should have slaughtered the old rooster, ages ago. The only thing that keeps him from attacking me, are pole nets. The ones I bought for the fish pond and also use to catch chickens with. That is the only thing that terrifies him. None of the other roosters ever even tried to attack me, he's just big jerk and always has been. So he will meet my cone this weekend. With three young cockerels and one or two of the Sussex Roosters, I haven'd decided yet, but for the amount of hens I have at the moment, it would be better to keep just one, and see what hatches for longer down the road.

Back
Top Bottom