my little Blue was a day late. she pipped and zipped incorrectly and made no progress in over 12 hours, We eventually had to help her out.
She really struggled. I didn't think she'd make it.
She was underweight, weak, small, and she had splayed leg and curled toe.
With lots of love from me and her siblings, she pulled through and lives a happy, healthy life.
She is 4mo

Hey folks, I just got a hold of the German standard for Light Sussex and now I'm looking around the web and fb and seeing flaws everywhere! :lau Gosh, @abpatchy did this also happen to you too?
absolutely!!! Last year I was just at aww about my roosters. Until I learned some flaws. Horrible!!! It's not like they are not gorgeous anymore... but you just see what's wrong with them, and what is good about them too (eventually) I sit and study my birds... and get really picky about it.
The head of the breeding club (I call him comb-nazi because he always finds things to tell me this rooster is a cull candidate, mainly combs.. just like the soup nazi in the series Seinfeld)... He has made me look at combs very closely.
But it is really a good thing... it will help you improve your breed. :thumbsup
Maybe you'll end up being a breeder after all. :lau

comb-nazi
That is hilarious!!! Seriously though, combs are a big deal. It's not just about the spikes, it's also about ratio to the fleshy bit and how it sits on the head. My hens are all too sooty except one that has a perfect collar. The boys are much better but still not perfect...grrrr Gosh now I am determined to improve them!! :lau Never say never

That is hilarious!!! Seriously though, combs are a big deal. It's not just about the spikes, it's also about ratio to the fleshy bit and how it sits on the head. My hens are all too sooty except one that has a perfect collar. The boys are much better but still not perfect...grrrr Gosh now I am determined to improve them!! :lau Never say never
Just don't forget... there is no such thing as a perfect bird. They all have flaws and faults somewhere. Even the ones that get 97 points at the show. I was told once that if they wanted to the judges could tear each bird apart... even with 97 points. Just strive to make the next generation better by choosing wisely.

oh and getting points at shows... it depends how many birds of your breed and color are at the show. If there are a lot of them... you're likely not get as many points because they have lots to compare to. If your breed is rare you are more than likely getting more points because it is rare and getting a perfect bird is hard to find. Your birds also don't need to be as perfect because they also don't want to discourage the breeder. So there is more to the story than breeding perfect birds.

Well at the moment, all my birds are seed fowl. Remember, I just hatched them out and had nothing to do with their breeding. So this hatch now and the next, is the first where I can start to select and actually see what I'm dealing with. 😱 scary stuff! lol

Well at the moment, all my birds are seed fowl. Remember, I just hatched them out and had nothing to do with their breeding. So this hatch now and the next, is the first where I can start to select and actually see what I'm dealing with. 😱 scary stuff! lol
seed fowl... are you listening to Kenny Troiano, too?

Back
Top Bottom