Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely try if they keep going. As you already said, I can always put the chicks with the others in the brooder. I already given eggs which were on day 18 to a broody, but it was with an older broody, she did awesome and kept the chicks for 5 weeks. Anyways I learned a lot on this site and I read a lot on how to give hatched chicks to broodies, too.
I have two Borotto incubators, with this hatch I'm testing for the first time one of them. I bought the first one one year ago and I like a lot how they work and the egg trays. I don't like so much the last year's humidifier (it does its work correctly though), but they improved it this year and now it's much better.
My chickens can roam freely in the whole yard, which is fenced. They have lots of bushes where to scratch the dry leaves and rest during the hot days, then there is the lawn with some trees, so they can eat the fruits that fall, too.
The hatch ended (actually a few days ago but I've been a bit busy these days, sorry:oops:).
I usually hatch only purebeeds, but this time I wanted to try few mixes, just for fun.
We got 2 Brahma x Red Sexlink, 1 bantam cochin (I'm guessing it's a mix between millefleur and black, it's black but not as black as the purebred chicks I've seen) and 3 silver chinese quails.
Unfortunately both the broodies refused the chicks, the bantam cochin actually broke her broodiness on her own few hours later discovering the chick.
Today here it's raining and thundering, some thunders were so strong that they scared the chicks, poor little ones.
IMG_20211005_120913.jpg
IMG_20211005_120852.jpg
IMG_20211005_120545.jpg
IMG_20211005_121009.jpg
IMG_20211006_132708.jpg
IMG_20211006_132802.jpg
IMG_20211006_132737.jpg
IMG_20211006_132722.jpg

The hatch ended (actually a few days ago but I've been a bit busy these days, sorry:oops:).
I usually hatch only purebeeds, but this time I wanted to try few mixes, just for fun.
We got 2 Brahma x Red Sexlink, 1 bantam cochin (I'm guessing it's a mix between millefleur and black, it's black but not as black as the purebred chicks I've seen) and 3 silver chinese quails.
Unfortunately both the broodies refused the chicks, the bantam cochin actually broke her broodiness on her own few hours later discovering the chick.
Today here it's raining and thundering, some thunders were so strong that they scared the chicks, poor little ones.
View attachment 2857175View attachment 2857176View attachment 2857177View attachment 2857178View attachment 2857180View attachment 2857182View attachment 2857183View attachment 2857184
Omg! I love the black and white baby!

View attachment 2857175View attachment 2857176View attachment 2857177View attachment 2857178View attachment 2857180View attachment 2857182View attachment 2857183View attachment 2857184
Awww looks like the big one's pooping out the little one lol!
They're adorable!

oh how cute is that!!!!
Thank you!

Omg! I love the black and white baby!
I can't wait to see it grown up:jumpy

Awww looks like the big one's pooping out the little one lol!
They're adorable!
Thank you! Yeah, the little ones love to hide under the bigger ones:gigMaybe they think they are their mum, since the quails hatched about 24 hours after the first chicken-chick, it was already drinking and eating when they were transferred to the brooder. So the quails just copied the big brother.:p

I love bantam Cochins! This makes me want to get them even more!
They have a wonderful temperament. When the weather was good the pullets sometimes enjoyed having breakfast outside with us in our balcony, in my lap.
IMG_20211007_223009.jpg

In this photo they enjoyed the scratchies so much that they fell asleep lol

IMG_20211007_223021.jpg

This is my first bantam chick, it's so sweet. I can't wait to hatch more :gig :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom