pekin duck staph infection

susanlachasse

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2018
I have a 7 year old pekin duck weighing 7.5 pounds. I went to a livestock doctor who gave me Amoxicillin Clavulate Potassium Tabs 500/125mg. She dosed at twice a day. That seems like a lot for my little duck. Anyone have a dosage on this and can confirm this sounds correct. Thank you

I have a 7 year old pekin duck weighing 7.5 pounds. I went to a livestock doctor who gave me Amoxicillin Clavulate Potassium Tabs 500/125mg. She dosed at twice a day. That seems like a lot for my little duck. Anyone have a dosage on this and can confirm this sounds correct. Thank you
Some things are not dosed by patient weight or size. And while some drugs may have an effective strength at 1 mg... other things will require 500 mg... depending on what they are and how they work.

Sorry your duck is having trouble and I can't offer any more wisdom or help than my basic statement. :( Good to have a livestock doc in your corner!

Hope your duck recovers quickly and you get answers to help you feel comfortable with the med dose recommended. :fl

Did they actually culture it and confirm staph?

No, they just said it was an infection of some kind and gave the amoxicillin and c because it is a wide spectrum antibiotic. She has little dangling nodules on her wings under her feathers.

To me, and I raise ducks, this sounds like excessive keratin build up from a possible series of bad molts where feather never came out, creating an ingrown feather then a staph infection because they needed to be removed so new feather can come out behind.

Amox is not strong enough. Vet can test for staph. It runs in blood.
Injected penicillin would be your go because to but it has to be pushed slowly. It is very thick and painful even at a slow rate. But 3 days and done. You have to use a 17 gage needle which is also painful. Needs a big muscle, site switched and hard on birds.

I would ask for gentimycin to treat infection and depending on how far you want to go, ask that those feather follicles giving issues be removed. If they are not, staph will reoccur.

I went to an another doctor. I thing it is a skin fungus. They gave her Itraconazole and TMS. There is no change and she still smells bad. She is perfectly fine otherwise, eating drinking, preening, all very normal. Her skin however is very red, especially under her arms. Most feathers are missing. Exotic Animal Veterinary Center in Pasadena is where she goes. Her original doctor was Dr. Stephany Lamb who is a wonderful doctor however, she has moved to Arizona. The new doctor, Dr. Sarah Wills, says she has never seen anything like this before and wanted to take x-rays for a skin problem. Someone suggested tea tree oil. I have horses and have Blue Kote.

here are some pictures.
denjs rash IMG_0814.JPG

Attachments

• denis rash IMG_0813.JPG
    denis rash IMG_0813.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 2
  • Pasadena-20181010-00611.jpg
    Pasadena-20181010-00611.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom