Pekin leg injury

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
Alright, so I have a Pekin hen who was completely fine yesterday. Today she came out of the coop with a severe limp. She will barely put pressure on her right leg and just lays down. She'll even try to use her wing to balance. She was completely fine yesterday. The only thing I can think of is that a drake got rough with her (our ratios are off...we have more we're raising to go with them, but they're too young to go outside right now). There's no indication of bumblefoot, there's no heat in her leg, and she does't react to me touching anywhere (from her foot all the way up to and including her hip). Is there anything I can do to relieve pain in case she just strained/pulled something badly? What is the aspirin dosage? I can try to get a video, but she's resting comfortably right now and I'd prefer not to upset her. I will also be giving her extra niacin, but I wouldn't think a niacin deficiency would cause such a dramatic change overnight, would it?

Can you post pictures? Here's a thread for aspirin dosage in ducks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/aspirin-dose-for-ducks.1308954/
She's separated with her own food (with Brewer's yeast) and nutridrench in her water. We're going to get a lower dose of aspirin. I'm scared to give her too much with the 325mg. This is not the coop section they're in, so ignore the shavings. I also know she has wet feather...this is the only duck I've ever heard of who won't voluntarily swim...

Back
Top Bottom