Pen G Procaine dose?

ChickieKat

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
I have read so many threads and seen much conflicting advice on dosing with Pen G Procaine injectable and need to figure out the correct dose. I have read dosing is .1cc per lb of body weight and also .01cc per lb of body weight. That is a huge difference. Does anyone know the true dose or have a link to a chart showing how to calculate dose?

I currently have a hen that weighs approx 8lbs with a giant wound due to a hawk attack and want to dose her accurately. I have her just shy of .1ml last night.

There are some links by Natalie Ross that state that dosage is 0.1 ml for any size chicken once a day for 4 days. Others insist on giving more, and since procaine penicillin fairly safe, it is frequently recommended to give 1/4 to 1/2 ml daily. But 1/10 or 0.1 ml will work. It should be given into a muscle 1/4 inch.

There are some links by Natalie Ross that state that dosage is 0.1 ml for any size chicken once a day for 4 days. Others insist on giving more, and since procaine penicillin fairly safe, it is frequently recommended to give 1/4 to 1/2 ml daily. But 1/10 or 0.1 ml will work. It should be given into a muscle 1/4 inch.
Awesome, thank you! She has absolutely no signs of infection yet and she was attacked on Saturday, so I am hoping we are good with a relatively low dose. If she develops an infection, can I up the dose, or would that mean it isn't working? I am hopeful, but want to prepare for the worst.

Where would you get this antibiotic? Can you get it from Tractor Supply or would you have to order it online? My hen has an infected prolapse and I need a strong antibiotic...

Where would you get this antibiotic? Can you get it from Tractor Supply or would you have to order it online? My hen has an infected prolapse and I need a strong antibiotic...

You can get it from Tractor Supply. If the penicillin doesn't work you could try Baytril, but it's banned for use in poultry, so research that before you buy it.

Post 35 has penicillin dosing info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...injury-something-else-photos/30#post_12737261

Disclaimer: I have only used penicillin in horses.

-Kathy

I have read so many threads and seen much conflicting advice on dosing with Pen G Procaine injectable and need to figure out the correct dose. I have read dosing is .1cc per lb of body weight and also .01cc per lb of body weight. That is a huge difference. Does anyone know the true dose or have a link to a chart showing how to calculate dose?

I currently have a hen that weighs approx 8lbs with a giant wound due to a hawk attack and want to dose her accurately. I have her just shy of .1ml last night.
Based on what I just read I don't think you gave too much. If anything, you gave too little, but please do check my math.
big_smile.png

Here is some info:
LL

Picture below is from this site: http://smartools.pharmdev.org/iu.html

Label on bottle works out to 13.2mg/kg and there are 300mg of penicillin per one ml
8 ÷ 2.2 x 13.2 ÷ 300 = 0.16ml for you hen

and then there is the turkey dose of 100mg/kg:
8 ÷ 2.2 x 100 ÷ 300 = 1.21ml for your hen

I honestly don't know what the proper dose is and have only used it with horses at 44mg/kg, but you asked for a chart and this is what I found. Hope your hen is okay on her way to recovery.

-Kathy

Here is the quote from Natalie Ross, and another link with suggested dosage:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/procaine-penicillin-g-can.html

Pen G procaine is given daily for no more than four days. The dosage for poultry or waterfowl (under 10 pounds) is listed as less than 1/4 cc if the Penicillin G Procaine is 300,000 I.U. (which is most often is) for animals from 1-10 kg (each kg = 2 pounds, so 1-20 pounds). The dosage is actually listed as 1ml (cc) per 100 pounds of body weight, but giving 1/10th of a cc would be troublesome and it has a high safety margin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathalie Ross [email protected]
(http://hoovesandfeathers.homestead.com/index.html in progress)

Interesting how the doses vary depending on the source... The horse dose listed in Plumb's is closer to what I have use when I've used it on horses. One of the horse doses listed in Plumbs is 20,000iu to 44,000 iu *twice* a day, which is quite a bit more than what drugs.com suggests.

Not saying one is right or one is wrong, just that they are different. :D

-kathy

Back
Top Bottom