Pen G Procaine dose?

I have read so many threads and seen much conflicting advice on dosing with Pen G Procaine injectable and need to figure out the correct dose. I have read dosing is .1cc per lb of body weight and also .01cc per lb of body weight. That is a huge difference. Does anyone know the true dose or have a link to a chart showing how to calculate dose?

I currently have a hen that weighs approx 8lbs with a giant wound due to a hawk attack and want to dose her accurately. I have her just shy of .1ml last night.
Based on what I just read I don't think you gave too much. If anything, you gave too little, but please do check my math.
big_smile.png

Here is some info:
LL

Picture below is from this site: http://smartools.pharmdev.org/iu.html

Label on bottle works out to 13.2mg/kg and there are 300mg of penicillin per one ml
8 ÷ 2.2 x 13.2 ÷ 300 = 0.16ml for you hen

and then there is the turkey dose of 100mg/kg:
8 ÷ 2.2 x 100 ÷ 300 = 1.21ml for your hen

I honestly don't know what the proper dose is and have only used it with horses at 44mg/kg, but you asked for a chart and this is what I found. Hope your hen is okay on her way to recovery.

-Kathy

Here is the quote from Natalie Ross, and another link with suggested dosage:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/procaine-penicillin-g-can.html

Pen G procaine is given daily for no more than four days. The dosage for poultry or waterfowl (under 10 pounds) is listed as less than 1/4 cc if the Penicillin G Procaine is 300,000 I.U. (which is most often is) for animals from 1-10 kg (each kg = 2 pounds, so 1-20 pounds). The dosage is actually listed as 1ml (cc) per 100 pounds of body weight, but giving 1/10th of a cc would be troublesome and it has a high safety margin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nathalie Ross [email protected]
(http://hoovesandfeathers.homestead.com/index.html in progress)

Interesting how the doses vary depending on the source... The horse dose listed in Plumb's is closer to what I have use when I've used it on horses. One of the horse doses listed in Plumbs is 20,000iu to 44,000 iu *twice* a day, which is quite a bit more than what drugs.com suggests.

Not saying one is right or one is wrong, just that they are different. :D

-kathy

So many different doses. I really wish there were a standard dose. We are giving .1ml every evening and tonight is day 4 and we haven't given her the injection yet, but will in a bit. We are going to go ahead with tomorrow's dose and then stop. We also have her oral antibiotics in her water on the first day and accidentally have her a much too high dose, but it was only the one day. She really was torn wide open by the hawk and shouldn't have survived, so I am betting that she was exposed to massive bacteria from the hawk's feet and beak. I am hoping the antibiotic dose was strong enough to kill the bacteria but not too strong for her poor, battered body. She seems to be doing well so far, so I am going with it, but I feel like we got lucky for sure.

Back
Top Bottom