People who Partake in Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

I don't use DE, I use something similar called food grade benonite clay, and dust my chickens with it as well as dust their flooring areas ;)
I have bentonite in my glaze mixing supplies (for pottery). Because of the small particle size of all glaze components, I use a respirator to avoid silicosis. If pure, I don't think it's toxic (but all these things are mined minerals and will contain at least traces of other components). I wouldn't use it, except to seal a pond or thicken a glaze.

Do you know calcium supplements are made with crushed rock. Also, research (AKA) baker's lung. Interesting, there are articles there from the Mayo Clinic, WebMD etc.
There's a good deal of controversy around inorganic calcium supplements; their efficacy & our ability to use them, I mean. I don't remember hearing whether there are dangers, though that wouldn't surprise.

Small particle sizes can wear down the cilia in the bronchia or (I expect, as it's a moist environment) gum them up. So that would encompass flour, talcum powder, corn starch... Some of the substances have the added risk of poisoning over time, as many mined minerals can have trace amounts of lead or other toxins.

For calcium (and other benefits including yumminess!) I save poultry carcasses from broilers, etc. (plus any other bones) and make bone broth. Add a little acid... vinegar, lemon juice, wine... to help leach out the nutrients.

Last edited:
I appreciate that, PS. Probably more than you know... That was the first time I feared for my life. I'm very lucky to make it out alive from that craziness 😑. I tried to get away... Was stalked, threatened, and even had a dead end road, blocked with his car. (Thankfully my friend was with me), he cut his neck with a razor blade and grab me. She ran to the neighbors to call 911 and to have him come out. At that point, the sheriff didn't do shit about all this except a restraining order. Then a few weeks later, it was 3am mind you, I was in my aunt's garden (i moved there hoping I wouldnt be found..) and I was shot at by a 22. . It hit the ground less than a 1ft away..... camr from my aunts back field.
Finally the Sheriff department put a warrant out. Listed him as armed and dangerous. Told me to do what I needed to stay safe... they knew I been carrying a loaded weapon to the farm where my horse was after the whole neck slitting ordeal. I will forever stand up for anyone in a abusive relationship... sorry to hijack the thread about DE. With a crazy ex story! I sorta laugh about it now. Its been almost 9 or 10 years ago. Still gives me chills to think about though

I feel you on the money sucking cars lol that's why my mustang is still parked in my garage. The house isn't horrible, its actually pretty nice inside. Real oak floors, solid oak doors throughout the house, remodeling bathroom. Fire place in the master bedroom, with full bathroom. Decks off all 3 bedrooms, with sliding glass doors.
Nice (About the house):D

It's perhaps benign, as long as it's pure, but DE is a mined mineral and as such very difficult to control contaminants that are naturally occurring minerals in the same mining area. I don't know what minerals might be expected to commonly accompany DE, but humans don't really benefit much from eating inorganic minerals. That's why we eat plants and animals, not pulverized rocks.

I did put some in my coop in a dust bath and regretted it. It didn't take long for everything to become covered in a film of gray dust. I have a big bag. Anyone nearby who wants it can have it. :lau
I used DE for dust bath areas. Stupid idea, the birds came down with respiratory problems. Some I could cure, others weren't so lucky.:(

I used DE for dust bath areas. Stupid idea, the birds came down with respiratory problems. Some I could cure, others weren't so lucky.:(
Oh My! I have not added any as of yet to their dusting area and now I don't think I will. Last thing I want to do is make my feather babies sick. Thanks for sharing. I'm defiantly wondering now if people who take this know the dangers? Or do they think the benefits outweigh the possible bad effects it can have on them.😕

Back
Top Bottom