Personality plus!

Zblue

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2021
Hello everyone!
As long time duck keeper, I’m rather inexperienced with chickens as I’ve only raised two.
I am thrilled to have 4 three day old silkies (that put a smile on my face!) and 3 one week old maran X and 3 EE’s. I’m really interested in developing relationships and having fun with these beauties. Any good bonding and training tips?
Thank you for taking the time to read!

Did you know that it's very easy to clicker train baby chicks to come to you? And this training remains with them for the rest of their lives?

As long as baby chicks have access to chick size grit, you may begin offering meal worms in a very limited amount. I have a training clicker I got from Petsmart for $1 and I click it before producing the carton of meal worms. I click again before offering a meal worm to the chicks.

Within a day of this routine, the chicks will come running immediately upon hearing the clicker. This really pays off when I need to train the chicks to go into the coop at night when they are ready to abandon their brooder for coop living. I get inside the coop, click the clicker, and the chicks will all come running into the coop.

At three days old I'm sure they are adorable!
One if the mistakes that I see on this site, that has all kinds of problems is overcrowding.
We hear all kinds of humorous references to "chicken math", like 1 rooster + 5 hens =25 chickens, but when you increase numbers to your flock also remember to also increase the coop and run space.
Other tips to first time chicken owners would be safety of your overnight coop against any preditor starting with mouse size.
Also my recommendation to offer grit and oyster shell always to your flock. (Obviously yours are to young for that now)
Read alot, either here or other places.
My favorite first time book is CHICKENS IN YOUR BACKYARD by Rick and Gail Luttmann.
This book I have had for 35 years. It's easy to read, has humor and i still pull it out a couple times a year to look something up. A cheap copy can be had on ebay.
Good luck, and enjoy those chickens!

At three days old I'm sure they are adorable!
One if the mistakes that I see on this site, that has all kinds of problems is overcrowding.
We hear all kinds of humorous references to "chicken math", like 1 rooster + 5 hens =25 chickens, but when you increase numbers to your flock also remember to also increase the coop and run space.
Other tips to first time chicken owners would be safety of your overnight coop against any preditor starting with mouse size.
Also my recommendation to offer grit and oyster shell always to your flock. (Obviously yours are to young for that now)
Read alot, either here or other places.
My favorite first time book is CHICKENS IN YOUR BACKYARD by Rick and Gail Luttmann.
This book I have had for 35 years. It's easy to read, has humor and i still pull it out a couple times a year to look something up. A cheap copy can be had on ebay.
Good luck, and enjoy those chickens!
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom