Pic Heavy Ugly but nearly free Coop built by a simple housewife

sodamancer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
PNW
The coop is structurally done. Ugly as all hell but i spent a total of 67.39 on this coop. Everything is recycled other than the ungodly amount of screws i used. I am now trying to decide on a run and researching if i can keep goats in the same general area as my chickens.

Veiw from the nesting box

Outside front of coop

Snowball is in the foreground and this is the underside of the coop

Fawn...she is my RIR and my fav. She follows me around

Roost

Back door

Watering system that i am still not sure i like

roof done in chicken wire. I am changing this before winter and the coons get anwry

Metal feeder inside the coop

I think it's cute actually. I also think you did a great job.
thumbsup.gif

Hey! No such thing as a SIMPLE housewife! We have to be jacks of all trades. I've held down many jobs in my life, but I think housewife and mother require the most creativity, imagination and stamina of anything else I've done. Nice job! You won't get a plaque or a certificate from your employer, but here's one from me!
You'll have to figure out how to customize it yourself, but you're clever and creative so that shouldn't be a problem
wink.png

Last edited:
I don't think it is ugly at all, its just obvious that it was made with recycled materials. A little bit of fun paint would tie it all together and make it look uniform and it would be a very pretty coop. Good work!

Last edited:
In a perfect world I'd say "no problem...come on!" In my IMperfect world, where I was laid off a week ago, the only ones who get treats around here are my chickens! Kidding aside, I was looking at the pictures you posted and I really admire what you accomplished. My idea of tools are twisties and a butter knife...the idea of working with wood that isn't pre-cut just defeats me. I want to add to my flock but with only one coop and needing to watch what I spend these days, I'm kind of stuck. How did you learn to build like that, and what tools did you need to use?

I used a skill saw, hammer, and a screw gun. Where did i learn to build......well i am lucky to have had a dad as a carpenter and unlucky to not have paid BETTER attention. You know boys were much more interesting at the time. Anyway i just did my best to remember what i saw. I looked at this coop and decided to wing it. After starting i found there was a book published with the plans for this coop. lol Anyway if i hadnt had the tools or had access to borrow the tools this would have cost me 300$ its not hard..........my building is also not perfect. Mydad came over and laughed at my chicken shack, gave me a hug and told me "u dun good, fer a girl that dont know what sher doin" (his best hillbilly voice was used. lol)

For other things.....like i am going to attempt simple furniture now i use anna white blog.

Back
Top Bottom