Pigeon Adventures

Here are some of the less common colors (more common in domestic pigeons than ferals):

Pied, which can vary from a single white feather to completely white (this one is a pied blue check).View attachment 2893556

Bronzing, which shows up as brown coloring on a gray/blue pigeon (this is a pied blue t-check with bronzing).View attachment 2893558

(Pied) blue barless- lacks a dark gray bar on the wings.View attachment 2893567

An (ash) red bar (not my picture). There are also red checks, red t-checks, brown bars, brown checks, and brown t-checks.View attachment 2893570

Brown bar (not my picture).View attachment 2893587

Spread, something that is basically the color of the tail band spread across the entire pigeon. There are brown spreads, blue spreads, and (ash) red spreads.
Blue spread (black without gray):View attachment 2893568
Ash red spread (you can also see little Neet in this picture):View attachment 2893569

Neet Neet is a grizzled recessive red. Recessive red makes a pigeon completely red and grizzling adds the white feathers (grizzling is more like speckles while pied is more like patches).View attachment 2893578

The same feral from a couple posts ago, who is a pied blue t-check with bronzing.View attachment 2893550

I had no idea that pigeons were so colorful!

Here are some of the less common colors (more common in domestic pigeons than ferals):

Pied, which can vary from a single white feather to completely white (this one is a pied blue check).View attachment 2893556

Bronzing, which shows up as brown coloring on a gray/blue pigeon (this is a pied blue t-check with bronzing).View attachment 2893558

(Pied) blue barless- lacks a dark gray bar on the wings.View attachment 2893567

An (ash) red bar (not my picture). There are also red checks, red t-checks, brown bars, brown checks, and brown t-checks.View attachment 2893570

Brown bar (not my picture).View attachment 2893587

Spread, something that is basically the color of the tail band spread across the entire pigeon. There are brown spreads, blue spreads, and (ash) red spreads.
Blue spread (black without gray):View attachment 2893568
Ash red spread (you can also see little Neet in this picture):View attachment 2893569

Neet Neet is a grizzled recessive red. Recessive red makes a pigeon completely red and grizzling adds the white feathers (grizzling is more like speckles while pied is more like patches).View attachment 2893578

The same feral from a couple posts ago, who is a pied blue t-check with bronzing.View attachment 2893550
LITTLE NEET

Also tysm for sharing these! :0 there are so many variations 😲

Most of the pigeons I see are the typical gray ones (I’ve only actually saw a red one once and that was years ago). XD That pied one I posted is one of the two heavily pieds I've seen, most of the other pied pigeons around here have just a few white feathers.
In big cities, though, there’s so much genetic variation, which means you get all kinds of colors and traits in the ferals.

Also, I will gladly teach you how to differentiate specific gray ones. :p Here are the three most common patterns:

Blue bar
View attachment 2893064

Blue check/checker (this is what my fantail mix and Rubber Band are)
View attachment 2893065

Blue t-checkView attachment 2893074
I like how you have your own pics of every color variation except brown and ash red bar. My Rus is just ✨ special ✨
But I saw one in Las Vegas once!
Also! Neet baby pics!

Did you know darker pigeons like tchecks and spreads and checks have an advantage in cities because they can attatch heavy metals that they consume to the melanins in their feathers instead of in their body? They found of a certain snake species of snake that came in black and white or mostly black was more often black in polluted waters because of the same reason. The dark snakes also shed their skin more to get rid of those metals. I learned this in the psat test.
https://www.science.org/content/article/why-dark-pigeons-rule-streets

I wonder if that’s why ginger pigeons are so rare in cities.

LITTLE NEET

Also tysm for sharing these! :0 there are so many variations 😲
I like how you have your own pics of every color variation except brown and ash red bar. My Rus is just ✨ special ✨
But I saw one in Las Vegas once!
Also! Neet baby pics!
Yeah, I still can’t believe there’s a barless in the flock!
Lil Neet was adorable.
Did you know darker pigeons like tchecks and spreads and checks have an advantage in cities because they can attatch heavy metals that they consume to the melanins in their feathers instead of in their body? They found of a certain snake species of snake that came in black and white or mostly black was more often black in polluted waters because of the same reason. The dark snakes also shed their skin more to get rid of those metals. I learned this in the psat test.
https://www.science.org/content/article/why-dark-pigeons-rule-streets

I wonder if that’s why ginger pigeons are so rare in cities.
That’s so interesting! There are definitely more checks than bars in my local flock.

Maybe. Since it’s a dominant gene, I could see how it would easily disappear from the population.

Dictator Neet doesn’t let anyone eat until he’s full.
DCE17D6E-A132-4F56-8043-52405B33B452.jpeg

Even Rubber band, who he’s been courting for weeks now.
6E8DB30D-05DB-40F8-B00D-B4122D8EEF1D.jpeg

To be fair, Neet courts with everything, so I guess this should be expected.
E1EF753B-46FA-4FCB-98CB-915C2B42304A.jpeg
ADEADEE0-5FBE-4C8D-B9D5-3570DC625E1F.jpeg
9F891BE4-438E-4005-9DC4-64A161378BA1.jpeg

Meanwhile Casper and Rubber band were eating together peacefully.
3BFC78A9-491F-41C2-8D1C-D8BBE70B7E51.jpeg
Shiny Rubber band.
E5C0CC3E-6985-4B69-9991-FDB8B0D3C79D.jpeg
3FC5F318-0DB7-4BDA-933F-5D8DAAF7C6B1.jpeg

Dictator Neet doesn’t let anyone eat until he’s full.View attachment 2895372
View attachment 2895373
View attachment 2895374View attachment 2895375View attachment 2895376

Meanwhile Casper and Rubber band were eating together peacefully.View attachment 2895381Shiny Rubber band.View attachment 2895383View attachment 2895382
Life under the Neet Regime.

Dictator Neet doesn’t let anyone eat until he’s full.View attachment 2895372
View attachment 2895373
View attachment 2895374View attachment 2895375View attachment 2895376

Meanwhile Casper and Rubber band were eating together peacefully.View attachment 2895381Shiny Rubber band.View attachment 2895383View attachment 2895382
Literally Shiloh. He uses his paw to pull the other cats’ bowl towards himself if he finishes before them or if we pull it away from him. He’s better about letting them eat now tho. Sometimes he just watches them eat though which makes them mad.
Life under the Neet Regime.
Ilol

@HeavensHens88

Back
Top Bottom