Pigeon Talk

The bird is too far gone. I think it is suffering I would cull. You are not doing your flock any favours by prolonging it's life. If it is viral you are putting your flock at risk. If it is genetic you do not want the genes passed on. If you let it remain in your flock it will be bullied and picked and have no life quality.
That is what I would do in this situation and reasons why.

Definitely keep it in isolation regardless what you decide.

Maybe some one else with more insight has an alternative.

Last edited:
I had one pigeon hatched in loft that developed a wry type neck condition. When first hatched, was just like the other sibling. Grew and ate OK. Did not get convulsions like in video. The head was just twisted upside down most of the time. I did release it with other pigeons loft flying. It would fly from roof to roof but had trouble entering trap. I just would take and place it inside manually. One day, did not return from loft flying. Whatever pigeon had, did not get any of the other pigeons infected. Could have been something similar to birth defect.:idunno

@Pyxis I'm sorry you're going through this. I have recently just had a scare with PMV. It's a nasty disease. There is no treatment for them. All you can do is give them supportive care. Symptoms will show up in 2-10 days if any of your other birds have it. It can be spread to chickens and it will cause newcastle disease. I know you've had alot of advice and probably googled everything but this link helped me. It's fairly brief but to the point.
http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/paramyxovirus__pmv_.php
Also in UK PMV is a notifiable disease.

Did not get convulsions like in video.

Those aren't convulsions, thank goodness. That's him panicking and trying to get away from me but he can't turn his head to do so.

@Pyxis I'm sorry you're going through this. I have recently just had a scare with PMV. It's a nasty disease. There is no treatment for them. All you can do is give them supportive care. Symptoms will show up in 2-10 days if any of your other birds have it. It can be spread to chickens and it will cause newcastle disease. I know you've had alot of advice and probably googled everything but this link helped me. It's fairly brief but to the point.
http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/paramyxovirus__pmv_.php
Also in UK PMV is a notifiable disease.

Thank you! I'm still holding out hope that maybe he just knocked his head on something, or that it's paratyphoid. I'm off to check him this morning.

Those aren't convulsions, thank goodness. That's him panicking and trying to get away from me but he can't turn his head to do so.

Thank you! I'm still holding out hope that maybe he just knocked his head on something, or that it's paratyphoid. I'm off to check him this morning.
Fingers crossed for you. :fl

He couldn't be under better care! :hugs

I've got a call in to my vet and I'll be picking up some enrofloxacin, in case it's paratyphoid, along with some meloxicam in case he's in any discomfort. So far so good - he's eating well, so I'm not gonna tube feed just yet, and he's drinking well. The water is mixed with a good bit of Nutri-Drench too.

I haven't seen him yet today with his head tucked under his body like it was last night, so that's good.

I also decided to send a message to the breeder. All I said was that one of the pigeons has torticollis, do you know what might be causing it? Waiting to see if I get a reply.

Back
Top Bottom