Pip and Zip positioning

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I've got eggs under a broody, and I know, she will do it all and I need to stop thinking about interfering....

But, 2 eggs have pipped and the beaks are facing downwards. Shouldn't the pips be on the top of the egg? I only looked quickly so didn't notice if they were in the fat or thin end of the eggs.

These were shipped eggs with horribly funky aircells. Shall I turn them to face the pip upwards or leave the broody to it? She knows best, right?

These were shipped eggs with horribly funky aircells. Shall I turn them to face the pip upwards or leave the broody to it? She knows best, right?
I would leave them alone.
How funky were the air cells...have you candled during incubation??

I would leave them alone.
How funky were the air cells...have you candled during incubation??
Thanks for your reply. The air cells were either saddled or floating. The external pips must be both in the air cells as the beaks are sticking out and no bleeding.

I candled last about a week ago. 2 of the Barnevelder eggs looked good. The others are Welsummers and dark and I couldn't make them out.

Thanks @aart

I just checked on them before I went to bed, and she has turned the pipping eggs round the right way and brought them to the middle of the nest. I should give her more credit!

I guess I'm nervous because she is only a pullet and a first time broody. And the eggs are special.

I'll hopefully have some happy chick news in the morning!!!!

Thanks @aart

One baby hatched within a couple of hours of my last post. Still drying out. The other is still just a pip still, and I am trying hard not to go and look under the broody again, because I don't want to mess with her perfect humidity!

She has 5 other eggs doing nothing visible yet. And I just had to free a kestrel who got into my main chicken run!!

It's all go today 😂

Ok, another baby is here! This time a Welsummer who must have pipped and zipped super quick.

The 2nd Barnevelder has started to zip, so hopefully will get out soon.

The first one pipped in the narrow end of the egg but got out alright.

Back
Top Bottom