Pip crowing!

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I posted a thread about this a few months ago when my LeghornxRIW [Pip] first started crowing. I is becoming an issue. She crows loudly every morning, and occasionally in the afternoon. She is getting very good due to practice, I was wondering if there are any ways to get her to shut up? She has a permanent spot and number2# hen in the pecking order, and will mount number4# [or maybe 6?] hen occasionally, if she sees her. What should I do? I tried putting her by herself, but she was very sad, and it didn't work anyway, if anything, she crowed louder! I need help!
IMG_2095.JPG
Name: Pip
Breed: RIW X Leghorn
Crowing: She has been crowing for about 4 months now, maybe 5

I love crowing!
But (I am really sorry for all confusion) I forgot to say she is my younger brothers pet chicken, and really, I like her as well. I was wondering if there were ways to quiet her so Dad doesn't make us get rid of her or so she doesn't upset the neighbors.

Also, could someone please explain how and why she is doing this? We still get a daily egg from her.
This sometimes happens with chickens. A hen will sometimes start crowing and taking on more male characteristics when she takes on the role of top hen. Your hen is not likely to stop crowing without a change in the flock dynamics.
I am the one who made the smart alec comment on your last post about getting a rooster to make her stop crowing. That would actually work. That would save you getting rid of the hen, but you would just have a new bird doing the crowing.
How close are the neighbors? Most urban areas in the US that allow chickens, ban roosters because of the crowing. If that is the case where you are, you are in the clear because you do not have a rooster! Your hen is crowing. Neat loophole. I don't know if your laws in Australia are similar.
It sounds like Dad is the one who needs convincing to let her stay. I personally love listening to my boy crow, pathetic though his crow is. It is very primal and grounding. All my neighbors love him.
Sorry I can't offer any other suggestions. Perhaps someone who has gone through this will chime in. Good luck to you!

I love crowing!
But (I am really sorry for all confusion) I forgot to say she is my younger brothers pet chicken, and really, I like her as well. I was wondering if there were ways to quiet her so Dad doesn't make us get rid of her or so she doesn't upset the neighbors.
Ah okay! Oh I understand haha, hope you can convince him, perhaps confront your neighbours and ask if they mind the crowing? Im not sure, wish you the best! She's a pretty thing :love

You need to get a new hen and hopefully it will challenge that hen and become the new top hen.
That is a major crap shoot. If she is so dominant that she is crowing, trying to overthrow her queendom will not be a simple feat. And then they will have to deal with the drama of introducing a new bird(s) to the existing flock.

Back
Top Bottom